• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Big vet mess up! please read

maggyottermad

Warren Scout
Hey,

I have had talks with vet about getting my buns spurs removed, and had decided to get them done when he goes in for castrate.

This morning, i take him down at 9am, all fine, sign consent form for castrate and spur removal, even saw what he was having done in the op book.

Went to work, at 9.20am vet calls, sounding very happy, said that spurs were removed and that he was awake eating his breakfast....I said, 'so he's had his balls removed too?'...

Her reply 'Oh were we doing that too?' :shock:

So now poor bun is going through another anaesthesic and having his bits chopped off...

I have calmed down ALOT, i had stern words and threatened a formal complaint, to which the vet has apologised and made excuses.

What a mess, lost alot of trust in them :roll:

Hope my man's ok :(

Hope he will be OK. I think I would put in a formal complaint if this happened as the vet is not paying full attention and should know what they are doing.

Lorks. :shock::shock: It's no consolation but at least the vet managed to perform one of the procedures the bun went on for and not sometihng completely different. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence though does it. :?

Yes spoke to vet, and asked about bill, we had agreed on charging for the usual castrate and adding £10 on top for spurs, just spoke to her, and she asked what she had quoted me for castrate, i lied and said £10 less than actually did, so £50/£60.

I just dont want him to suffer more than he should, poor mite x

I know its frustrating and dissapointing, but its probably just an honest, human mistake - we all make them regardless of profession - and at least your rabbit is healthy and happy, the vet didnt screw up or anything. Last case i know something like this happened the vet offered to do the second op for free. i am not making excuses, but it may not have being their fault and doesnt have a detrimental outcome.

Yes, mistakes happen but I think the Practice should do the castrate free of charge and I would certainly wait a couple of months before putting him under GA again. Then they can re-check his molars for any spur regrowth.........if they remember :rolleyes:

Ah well, all done now, and I paid for it, think i got £10 off...

he seems ok, he's in a dog crate in dining room, been licking abit, but all looks ok, hes eating too and moving about a bit, got heat pad too.

I would be untolerant with such mistakes either for human or animals having to undergo a GA for a specific ops that is planed and fixed on a book ! the least is to be careful before doing a chirurgical act of any sort.... no damage for the rabbit = fortunately OK but the poor little chap will have to undergo a second anesthesia because of a admin mistake ? I would be furious believe me...

So yes, maybe you can wait till his next dental check because if he has spurs they will grow again so he will need regular controls and cutting probably..

no he DID have the castration also yesterday, the vet said his first op for the teeth only involved a small amount of gas, so she wasnt worried about having a 2nd ga, but obviously the 2nd ga for castrate went alot deeper...

today he is fine and nearly 100% back to normal, but i will be writing a formal letter of complaint and will not be returning to that practice.

Oh dear.
Normally vets rely on the nurses to prevent this sort of :censored: up....:roll:
I hope he recovers well from his ordeal, poor chap.

no he DID have the castration also yesterday, the vet said his first op for the teeth only involved a small amount of gas, so she wasnt worried about having a 2nd ga, but obviously the 2nd ga for castrate went alot deeper...

today he is fine and nearly 100% back to normal, but i will be writing a formal letter of complaint and will not be returning to that practice.

:shock: I didn't realise you meant he was having the second op yesterday too. I'm glad it went well anyhow.

I think you're right to complain - mistakes can happen, but they should also try to learn from them and hopefully try to avoid them from happening again.

I would have gone ballistic! Poor Bun :censored:
Surely the Vet should have known what they quoted you for the neuter! It always worries me when they ask you what they quoted! Surely, the fee is a fee!
It's not about money, it's about the health of your bun, but as a goodwill gesture, they should have knocked a load more off the bill.

I wouldn't be going back to the same vet!

I' m glad that he feels better and I'm sorry, I did not realize he had the 2nd Ops just after the 1st one which would have driven me even more mad... The most important thing now is his health and that he is OK; Flash-anesthesia by gas is the safest, Chloe has gas for her regular dental and other problems that she had, and 15' later she is OK but of course when there is surgery, it takes longer to recover,

Back