• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Single Older Bunny - recently bereaved

happybunny

Mama Doe
Last week we lost Max quite suddenly leaving Oliver on his own. They had been bonded for about 3 years and absolutly devoted to each other. They spent most of the days cuddled up together.

Oliver came from a rescue center who told us he was 5. We have had him 4 years so that makes him 9. He has tooth issues (at one point having them done once a month).

We have 3 bonded groups. 2 groups of 4 (1 with 3 females and 1 male / the other 2 female and 2 male), a trio of boys and another trio (1 female and 2male). We do not feel Oliver would fit into any and would be better in a pair.

With Oliver been in his later years I worry about the stress of bonding and how fair it is on the other bunny.

My husband has said no more rabbits and I am not sure if I should push this.

Opinions welcome!

Is he outside? If he is could you bring him in?

My old man (11) came inside when he lost his partner and an attempted match up didn't work. He seems really happy as a single house bunny, and gets lots of attention, but I couldn't have left him outside on his own.

I would love to have a friend for him, as I often work evenings and feel awful leaving him in the evening on the occassions that my hubby is away. However my husband has taken the same stance as yours- no more house buns. Though I have half an eye out for the right old girl and would push him!! The thing is there aren't that many single old girlies about right now!

If he is outside- maybe you could give your hubby the choice- inside, or a friend?!

Oliver lives inside but in a hutch and playtime in the bedroom. We already have a free range female but she is exceedly territorial so no chance of a bond there.

Oliver is not impressed by human company so I feel realy bad for him. He now has a teddy for hutch company but that is no substitute for Max.

I could not bear to keep a rabbit alone permanently, personally, if it was capable of bonding with another rabbit.
What are your husband's reasons for no more rabbits?
Would an attempt at a bond with your lone female somewhere else, such as a rescue, for a donation, be a possibility? She might be a different bun away from her home territory.

Oh dear that is difficult. Poor Oliver :(

Maybe it is worth giving him ago with another bunny. Would your husband tolerate another house bun? Is there a calm bunny in one of your groups that could move in with Oliver? Just a way of not disturbing total numbers and making two pairs so not leaving anyone alone?

I do undestand why you are weary of stressing him out. Mine has a heart murmur, is very attached to his Mummy and Daddy and I'd hate to disturb what I don't need to- personally I wouldn't risk a grumpy female- unless you feel that she would accept him in neutral territory and would calm down from there as Lillibun says.

Back