• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

casper needs all your vibes..please :(/UPDATE..hes gone

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
:( i dont know whats going to happen i just dont know.
casper was booked in as an eergency to see ellen this evening at 5.40pm....she said he had a high temperature and was extremely lethargic.
Then she was checking him over and oh dear...the abscess has either spread or he has another one:cry: hes in sooo much pain.
Shes given me a little bit of flagyl and i have the metacam at home so dosed him up when we got home..also dug out my supply of jars of baby food...for buns naturally:oops: and hipp organic pear and apple pudding was on his menu. he was so weaka nd wobbly he sat on nikkis lap not struggling and ate almost 6ml of baby food.

then about 9pm he was still very weak but had gone downhill..we had seen him tilitng his head to the side of the abscess and panicked..ec or vestibular disease or plain agony from the abscess....what to do.

hes not eating or drinking..he wasnt able to hold his left front paw up and kept tilting his head........i heard mark the vet down the phone but i was a mess.....watching him yet again tilt his head....unable to lay down..sit up or stand..he was just hunched wobbly.

so after 9pm i agreed to take him to the emergency centre..mark said hed meet us there and he did.
well nikki wouldnt leave his side at home as he got worse and worse and worse we thought hed die in the taxi....
but oh no get him there he doesnt tilt his head..or close his eyes or hunch up..oh no..he behaves as tho hes perfectly alright:shock: i was almost in tears going to mark..he wasnt like this at home honest we wouldnt have come otherwise..etc etc...i was angry at myself and upset.

mark said he may have got comfortable in his surroundings at home and therefore let the pain show. whereas at the vets hes got to be the bun with no pain....
mark took him back to take his temp and was so shocked he took it again..his words! the poor little bunsters fever had spiked right up.
mark said if hed been lethargic hed have aken him in to put him on fluids but cos he was a live wire and had managed to take some babyfood he wouldnt.
he said i had to give him a higher dose of metacam as the pain was so bad...and he is having a word with zoltan tomorrow to see what he suggests as zoltan lectured in a university on exotics.

ellen said wel what do you want to do i dont know. lets give himt he antibiotics and see if he perks up...if he does we know the abscess infection is to blame and its not good.

mark said he thinks the abscess has actually spread to be full blown osteomyalitis:( theyll need an xray to confirm how big the area damged is etc.
he was oging on about beads etc and i said ellen doesnt think there that great in her experience..and i said she was kinda treat him now pts next time or treat him until he cant take anymore..we must think about his quality of life...
mark said she was uspet terrible when caspers heart gave out on the table..she was running aorund yeling and banging things:shock: mind you no one expected to himt o come back let alone make the night let alone come home!

hes in terrible terrible pain...mark couldnt give him anything as hed had metacam already............he said to keep him as cool as we can..put a fan on him.....use our ice pod etc. The problem is if his fever doesnt stay stable and decrease..it could go higher leading to seizures and death. he thought hed be better of with one to one care at home as he was so livley but obviously if he gets worse....:cry:

please please give pain relief vibes to this brave little chap.....hes done so well after going through so much........were going to lose him soon i know but for now if he can hold on long enough to see if another vet can suggest anything before we let him binky at the bridge.

Last edited:
Not Casper! He needs to be getting better, not worse!

What are they doing to lower the fever besides a fan? I don't know about fevers, but I know in cases of hyperthermia, the suggest putting ice cubes in their water to keep it cold, and freezing water in a bottle, wrapping a small towel around it, and placing it in the buns cage. Also, wiping his ears with a cool damp cloth can help cool the guy down. I've heard kidney problems are possible at high temps, so sorry if I'm telling you things you already know, but I just love that little Casper so much!

And darn it if he isn't a fiesty one! I hope he keeps eating and fighting this.

Lots of vibes.

Poor Casper :(

Loads of vibes for the brave little boy. Hope he's feeling more comfortable.

When daisy had her high temperature illness, I placed a cool/damp cloth across her ears and back for ten mins or so at a time.

thank you all for the vibes...hes made it through the night but hes so ill:cry:

hes had his metacam cat one increased to 4.1ml for a 1.5bunny.....and hes had his flagyl.
we popped an ice pod in his cage and the floor was bare plastic with a fan on him. yes damp cold clothes help but only when you can keep it there..hes so weak i cant bear to watch:(
hes had three 1ml syringes ful of baby food again....and if he makes it a few hours more id like to try to get some critical care into him..but each time we shove something in his little mouth it sets the pain off again. hes not struggling with his meds..hes just sat on nikkis lap taking it....not capser at all:(

we have got so much love for him and hes got so much love for us esp zuzu the kitty:oops: and is such a little fighter its so alarming to see him like this again.....hed got teeny poops stuck to his nether regions....not soft poos but normal ones.i think its cause his plums were sooo sweaty that the poops stuck there. so hed been pooing and sitting in it. hes dragged himself across to wee in his tray again so hes still able to move but now he seems to have bit of a snotty nose or slightly runny anyway. which i guess is down to pasturella after all.

please keep sending him pain relief vibes..its up to him if he wants to fight..we just want to try and make him more comfortable and yes selfishly want to be allowed to spend time with him..but if he make sit clear hes not wanting that then ok so be t..but hes begged nikki to cuddle him:cry:

i havent slept propelry neither has she...we expected him to be dead....hes very very ill so not clear of that yet if he ever can be.

come on little guy..let the pain float off......and you if you want to:cry:

seding tons of vibes your way. i have been there so understand how it must be right now.
Have you thought of trying zithromax? i have heard very positive things about it and have used it myself for headtilt with amazing results. It is supposed to work very well for absesses and pasterella.

oh goodness hun I've only just seen your thread about wee Casper - poor little fella :cry: Sending lots of vibes to get through this & vibes for you both to keep strong (((((hugs))))) xxx

Back