• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about myxi spread..

matjoliver

Warren Scout
At work today I came across a small wild bun, with one eye ok, but the other eye was semi open and looked quite watery.

It was a bit scared, but didn't really move at all. I gave a a stroke to try and put it at ease, trying not to touch the eye. I have washed my hands before handling our buns, but am a just a bit worried in case there's a chance of passing it on?

They're all vaccinated, but I understand they can still contract it, although not as bad?

Hopefully someone can put my mind at rest :?

At work today I came across a small wild bun, with one eye ok, but the other eye was semi open and looked quite watery.

It was a bit scared, but didn't really move at all. I gave a a stroke to try and put it at ease, trying not to touch the eye. I have washed my hands before handling our buns, but am a just a bit worried in case there's a chance of passing it on?

They're all vaccinated, but I understand they can still contract it, although not as bad?

Hopefully someone can put my mind at rest :?

What did you do with the bun? If it happens again please get the bun to a vets to be pts if needed. Myxi is horrible :(

Rabbits are flea infested and it's the fleas you need to be careful of. I picked a wild bun up the other night with myxi and took it to the vets to be pts. I was worried about my clothing etc and stripped at the door and washed all my clothes on a hot wash and had a thorough wash myself before I went near Angel.

Last edited:
What did you do with the bun? If it happens again please get the bun to a vets to be pts if needed. Myxi is horrible :(

Will a vet do it for free? I'm just asking as I had a converstaion with a guy in work who had seen a myxi bunny in the middle of the road, stopped, pushed it to 1 side so it wouldn't get squished and drove off. I said the kindest thing he could have done would have been to have had it pts but he said it was just instinct and didn't know what else to do.

Will a vet do it for free? I'm just asking as I had a converstaion with a guy in work who had seen a myxi bunny in the middle of the road, stopped, pushed it to 1 side so it wouldn't get squished and drove off. I said the kindest thing he could have done would have been to have had it pts but he said it was just instinct and didn't know what else to do.

Well....I posted about being annoyed with the PDSA/out of hours service when they weren't helpful when I found a baby bun, but on Sunday night they were really good and took the rabbit in and pts for me without any problems.

Well....I posted about being annoyed with the PDSA/out of hours service when they weren't helpful when I found a baby bun, but on Sunday night they were really good and took the rabbit in and pts for me without any problems.

Cool. May ask at my vets when I'm there next month when I take mine for jabs. Really hope I never have to use the info but would be good to be able to let friends/family know what to do if they are ever out in that position again.

I spoke to our vets who agreed to pts if I brought it in - I didn't want to leave it to suffer - I feel a bit sad though, as I popped to the van quickly to get something to put it in (bearing in mind it hadn't moved for about half hour) and when I came back it had gone and I couldn't find it :( I think the gardener scared it away

Back