• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Frankie Died. But...

Mickaxx

New Kit
I got her yesterday, and she started to have diarrhea last night.
In the morning it was realllyyy bad. I mean, it was on the walls, ceiling of the hutch.... EVERYWHERE.
Obviously we took her to the vet and they told us to hydrate her, by getting her to drink water, and they also gave us some medicine (which we gave to her)

About 2 hours ago, I went in to check on her, I started to talk to her but, she started to have a fit.
I picked her up, and she continued to fit.
And, she died. (R.I.P Frankie) She was only 8 weeks old!!
:(

:love:

So, did I do something wrong? or does this happen more often than not?

I am so sorry to hear about your baby bunny :(

I'm surprised the vet didn't admit her and hydrate her with a drip :?

It sounds like it could have been mucoid enteritis which is common in young bunnies :(

If you do decide to get another a bunny in the future it would be worth looking round for a more rabbits savvy vet

So sorry you lost Frankie.

I don't think you did anything wrong. Baby bunnies go downhill very quickly. There was obviously something causing the runny tummy in your baby bunny and you quite rightly took her to the vet. I do believe though that the vet should have kept her in and at least given her fluids, you wouldn't have been able to get a poorly bunny to drink enough to rehydrate her.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

How did you get her? Is it from RSPCA or from a breeder?
As there is also a lot of problems w/ breeder's rabbits. There is usually a lack of genetic diversification.

I am so sorry for the loss of your poor baby.. , you did not do anything wrong at all.. she must have suffered from a fulgurant enteritis or coccidies as it occurs in very young rabbits... unfortunately it happens and as the others say, the vet should have kept her under care and rehydratation, at that young age there is little they can do to save a young with diarrhoea, they can go very quickly as the least tommy upset/infection can be lethal within hours...

How did you get her? Is it from RSPCA or from a breeder?
As there is also a lot of problems w/ breeder's rabbits. There is usually a lack of genetic diversification.

I think this is a bit off as not all breeders rabbits lack genetic diveristy, maybe rather say some not so good breeders have this problem as do some pet shop babies as some places will buy from anyone, often including babies born from brother and sister pairings etc.
I think the question that could have been asked was did whoever you get the rabbit from give suitable advice and food for settling in etc.
J

Sorry to here about franky :(
Have you contacted the breeder or pet shop where she came from??
A rabbit shouldn't be sold to you in that state and you should be entitled to a refund before seven days have passed??

very often it is infection by coccidies as the caecum flora of the baby is not devlopped enough to fight against the bacteria...which is everywhere on the soils, litter or from another baby contaminated.. adults may host it but their immunity is able to avoid the coccidies to develop

This is exactly what happened to one of our 8 week old bunnies that we bought from a pet shop. She was absolutely fine when we picked her up on the Saturday afternoon, hopping around the hutch and run with her sister. When we looked in on Sunday morning she was cowering in a corner and had very bad diarrhoea. We tried to clean her up a little and get her warm and then phoned the emergency vets but before we could get her there she had passed away in my husbands arms.

It was all so very sad and sudden and like others have said, it is apparently quite common in fragile young bunnies who go down hill very fast. Thankfully the other bunny remained fit and healthy. I don't think there is anything else you could have done to be honest Mikkaxx.

Sleep tight little one :(

Back