• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fox in Britain please : I have a question

Martine

Alpha Buck
Hello all :wave:

Reading your posts I see that you have a lot of fox everywhere and really bold . I am surprised, are they protected in Britain or hunted ? Because over here, there are not so numerous and really wild.. Hunters are allowed to kill a certain number per year (quota) but the species has suffered from massive culling by gas in the early 70-80ies, due to rabbies.. Now they are vaccinated by helicopter : they just drop a piece of meat with the vaccine... Rabbies has now almost disappeared from the territory except for cases of illegaly introduced dogs, and a few wild carnivoras such as bats, but not systematically of course... this is why vaccination is mandatory now.

Hello all :wave:

Reading your posts I see that you have a lot of fox everywhere and really bold . I am surprised, are they protected in Britain or hunted ? Because over here, there are not so numerous and really wild.. Hunters are allowed to kill a certain number per year (quota) but the species has suffered from massive culling by gas in the early 70-80ies, due to rabbies.. Now they are vaccinated by helicopter : they just drop a piece of meat with the vaccine... Rabbies has now almost disappeared from the territory except for cases of illegaly introduced dogs, and a few wild carnivoras such as bats, but not systematically of course... this is why vaccination is mandatory now.

Hunting with packs of dogs is now banned. Hunters get around the law by using dogs to 'flush the foxes out' and then supposedly make the kill with birds of prey:shock:!
It is, I believe, legal for them to be shot as a form of 'pest control'. I don't know whether a license is required for this, or what the rules are.
Thankfully, we don't yet have rabies here :)

how :shock: killed by bird of prey, I didn't know.. well it is such a revolution to have banned hunting with packs, I wish they could do that in France too, although they are very limited to a few crews only.. Most of the hunters hunt with a gun... but once on TV I watched a document where some UK people were still hunting with a pack illegaly !

how :shock: killed by bird of prey, I didn't know.. well it is such a revolution to have banned hunting with packs, I wish they could do that in France too, although they are very limited to a few crews only.. Most of the hunters hunt with a gun... but once on TV I watched a document where some UK people were still hunting with a pack illegaly !

It does still happen, i'm sure. They claim that they were unable to stop the dogs killing the foxes when they are just supposed to be flushing them out!

yes, and these people were saying to the camera, that it was their tradition for centuries so !! I think the authorities are not too severe about this...

yes, and these people were saying to the camera, that it was their tradition for centuries so !! I think the authorities are not too severe about this...

The government is rather too busy at the moment trying to cover up their outrageous expenses to worry about a few foxes.....:roll:

Hi Michelle !!! I hate hunting.. it's true that hunting with a pack was the most natural way to catch a beast because that left a chance for her to escape, but it's so crual that I can't stand it.. Now there is a lot of poaching everywhere : they put wires to catch wild rabbits and so on...:( and what I hate evenmore is hand-reared game released only for the purpose of shooting for their so called "sport" ! :evil: it has no chance of escaping, it goes towards human who have fed him ! )

Back