• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please re torn ear.

Dustyrabbit

Warren Veteran
We had an eventful night last night which saw me chasing a fox away from the bunny enclosure at 3.30am, in my nightie, weilding a bat:roll:

This morning I discovered that the fox had managed to grab Fizz's ear through the wire (I'm sure that rabbit doesn't see too well, he has blue eyes) and it had been bleeding. I bathed it and it seemed ok, but when I checked it just now it seems a bit warm and a bit fatter than the other one. There are 2little nics and a bit of a graze. Would this be part of the normal healing process or would it definately be a sign of infection?

Never had this sort of injury in a rabbit so just wanted some advice please, my vets is shut 'till morning.

I would get to the vets NOW.
A fox has loads of bacteris in its mouth so risk of infection is high.

Personally, I would defintely take the rabbit to the vets. Foxes are generally germ ridden and the ear sounds infected. Best to catch it before it gets any worse.

Is there an emergency vet you can take the rabbit to?

Ok thanks.

I did speak to the nurse at the vets this morning to check if he would need antibiotics and she said it was ok to bathe it and keep an eye and of course to take him in if there was any change.

Will have another look and give them a call.

I am surprised she did not ask you to come over for a thorough desinfection and hope it does not turn septic

What are you bathing it in? You need something that will properly kill the germs like Hibiscrub. The vets should be able to provide this but it's cheaper on the internet and doesn't need a prescription.

For anyone who's interested the vet concluded that Fizz's ear is healing nicely :), yes a little warm and a little "thickened" in one small area but looking good. Gave some antibiotics to be on the safe side.

He bumped in to quite a few dogs in the waiting room and suggested to them that they might like to come round to his place and give the fox a bit of a scare!

Back