PDA

View Full Version : Enlarged Liver...results back

louise and Gus
12-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Sweetpea was at the vets today and he said her liver was really enlarged...he actually wrote massive on her notes :cry:

She had some blood tests today and may be having a biopsy next week?

She has shown no signs of any problems.

Any ideas??

Hugo's There
12-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Oh no poor Sweet Pea and what a worry for you :( When are the blood results back?

I know it is easier said than done but i would wait for the results rather than get panicked by possibilities

Jack's-Jane
12-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Has Sweetpea ever had Snuffles ?
Pasteurella can cause abscesses within the liver :?

There are numerous possibilities really so hopefull the bloods will shed more light on things.

At least Sweetpae is feeling OK within herself

xx

louise and Gus
12-05-2009, 07:50 PM
They are doing the bloods tonight as they have an onsite lab but I am away tomorrow so will get the results friday. I am trying not to panic, he did say even in worse case he has seen great results with herbal remedies as liver support..

She is as lively as ever, she has never had any health problems, except syphilis..which cleared up after treatment

Santa
12-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Bummocks Lou :( Has she been on panacur, could it be a side effect? Hope everything is ok, let me know if there's anything I can do.

louise and Gus
12-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Yeah she has been on panacur vet said we should treat them all after Gus's results :?

It's typical I always think of her as the healthy one :roll:

louise and Gus
15-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Well I just spoke to my vet and Sweetpea's results are back...and didn't show anything unusal :? However my vet said this could be because the liver is so damaged it isn't producing the enzymes they were measuring?

So he has reccomended I book her in for a Biopsy next tuesday, which I have done, I trust this vet completely but still feel unesy about putting a bun who appears healthy through an op, but he said there is definitely something wrong so best to try and find out asap...

So has anyone else had this kind of experience, am I doing the right thing getting the biopsy?

joey&bugys 2007
15-05-2009, 07:04 PM
I don't have any advice but wanted to saying thinking of you and sweetpea :)

Snowberry
15-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Poor Sweetpea. Fingers crossed you get some answers soon.

louise and Gus
15-05-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't have any advice but wanted to saying thinking of you and sweetpea :)

Thank you :)

As I said I trust William to do the best for her so am happy to follow his advice, just hard to think that she could have something seriously wrong with her but seems so fine :(

donnamt
15-05-2009, 07:12 PM
it must be awful the not knowing... i hope what ever they find is treatable

Jack's-Jane
15-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Can they not do an U/S before opening her up :?

halfpenny
15-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Sorry to hear this, it must be such a worry.
I have no experience in rabbits, but Deli our dali has liver damage. Her ALT enzymes are very high, for dogs they should be below 100 and she is now hitting 600. The liver is an organ which can regenerate and recover very well.
Deli is showing no signs of any problems, and at her age that is all we can hope for.
Milk thistle is good for liver damage, but I don't know what doses you would need for a rabbit.
Once you find out what is wrong it is easier to deal with.
Has she had a scan, it might be worth doing before going into the op. It might show up any growths in the liver.
Good luck.

louise and Gus
15-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Can they not do an U/S before opening her up :?

I will ask about this :)

Jack's-Jane
16-05-2009, 12:02 PM
I have been thinking about this and if she were my Bun I'd probably ask my Vet about treating her with Septrin and Milk Thistle for 2 weeks and seeing if there are any changes in the Liver. Maybe doing an U/S now and repeat in 2 weeks but I'd be rather twitchy about a full laparotomy straight away :?

Just an unqualified suggestion and I'd go with what my Vet advised.

louise and Gus
16-05-2009, 05:51 PM
I have been thinking about this and if she were my Bun I'd probably ask my Vet about treating her with Septrin and Milk Thistle for 2 weeks and seeing if there are any changes in the Liver. Maybe doing an U/S now and repeat in 2 weeks but I'd be rather twitchy about a full laparotomy straight away :?

Just an unqualified suggestion and I'd go with what my Vet advised.

I'm going to phone my vet Monday to have a chat about other options, on one hand I don't want to put her through an GA if there is other options, but also I don't want to wait around if a biopsy is the only way to get a diagnosis and get her started on appropriate treatment :?

To add to my worries I found out today that rather than 3 or 4 we thought she was she is more likely 5 or 6 :shock:

Jack's-Jane
16-05-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm going to phone my vet Monday to have a chat about other options, on one hand I don't want to put her through an GA if there is other options, but also I don't want to wait around if a biopsy is the only way to get a diagnosis and get her started on appropriate treatment :?

To add to my worries I found out today that rather than 3 or 4 we thought she was she is more likely 5 or 6 :shock:

Awwwwwww she's still not 'old' even if she is 6.
Here's hoping that the Vets can get her sorted out. At least she is completely oblivious to any potential problem.
You have all the worry though :cry:

louise and Gus
16-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Awwwwwww she's still not 'old' even if she is 6.
Here's hoping that the Vets can get her sorted out. At least she is completely oblivious to any potential problem.
You have all the worry though :cry:

Yeah she is completely unaware of how much she is making me worry :roll: :roll:

You wouldn't know there is anything wrong with her :) which I am hoping is a good sign that either it isn't anything too serious or whatever it is has been caught early enough..

MuffinsMummy
16-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Really hope Sweetpea is ok.
Sending lots of vibes and thinking of you both.

louise and Gus
16-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Really hope Sweetpea is ok.
Sending lots of vibes and thinking of you both.

Awww thanks :D

Jack's-Jane
16-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Did you say Sweetpea has recently been on a course of Fenbendazole ?

As Fenbendazole is apparently metabolised in the Liver I wonder if this could be the cause of the Liver enlargement :?

Sorry, my ponderings are not very helpful :oops:

louise and Gus
16-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah just finished the course a few days ago, Alison mentioned this and it had crossed my mind also :? Would the manufacturers have info on any effects like that?

Jack's-Jane
16-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Yeah just finished the course a few days ago, Alison mentioned this and it had crossed my mind also :? Would the manufacturers have info on any effects like that?

I have been doing a bit of searching online and whilst I have not, as yet, come across anything specifically Rabbit related there is some info about Fenbendazole causing Liver problems in some Birds
Also, other drugs in the same family as Fenbendazole (benzimidazoles) have been reported to cause hepatoxicity (liver damage) in dogs.

All this may be well off the mark but I'd mention it to the Vet anyway.

louise and Gus
16-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Yeah I have just been doing a bit of googling....seems at very high levels it can cause changes in the Livers of rats and promote tumours..but this is at really high doses and causes changes in liver enzymes :?

Will mention it to him anyway.

oscarbunny
16-05-2009, 10:07 PM
I really hope its nothing serious, sending lots of vibes for sweetpea xx

Santa
17-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Hope everything is ok Lou :( At least the blood tests don't show anything hugely wrong and more importantly Sweetpea feels ok.

My 'hunch' is that it is related to the panacur - I'd have thought your vet would have felt that her liver was big when she was in before, so it seems likely to me that it's only got enlarged over the past few weeks, and the only thing that has changed has been the panacur?

Hope everything is ok xxx

Hugo's There
17-05-2009, 10:58 AM
What a worry for you Louise :cry:

Generally a liver biopsy is carried out with the aid of ultrasound any way so if anything showed up on the ultrasound first that gave a definate diagnosis I'm sure they would not need to go a head with the biopsy.

Ultra sounds on the liver can only give a very limited diagnosis all of which I would have thought would show other symptoms or shown up on bloods. Also the large amount of gas in the abdomen makes it difficult to see clearly.

A biopsy would give a definative diagnosis but given that she is perfectly Ok in herself I can see why you would be concerned. :?

It is interesting and slightly worrying generally that there could be a connection to the panacur. I will be interested to know what the vets veiws are on this.

I know you and your vet will make the best decision for Sweet Pea, thinking of you both and have my fingers crossed it is nothing to worry about :)