• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Enlarged Liver...results back

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
Sweetpea was at the vets today and he said her liver was really enlarged...he actually wrote massive on her notes :cry:

She had some blood tests today and may be having a biopsy next week?

She has shown no signs of any problems.

Any ideas??

Last edited:
Oh no poor Sweet Pea and what a worry for you :( When are the blood results back?

I know it is easier said than done but i would wait for the results rather than get panicked by possibilities

Has Sweetpea ever had Snuffles ?
Pasteurella can cause abscesses within the liver :?

There are numerous possibilities really so hopefull the bloods will shed more light on things.

At least Sweetpae is feeling OK within herself

xx

They are doing the bloods tonight as they have an onsite lab but I am away tomorrow so will get the results friday. I am trying not to panic, he did say even in worse case he has seen great results with herbal remedies as liver support..

She is as lively as ever, she has never had any health problems, except syphilis..which cleared up after treatment

Bummocks Lou :( Has she been on panacur, could it be a side effect? Hope everything is ok, let me know if there's anything I can do.

Yeah she has been on panacur vet said we should treat them all after Gus's results :?

It's typical I always think of her as the healthy one :roll:

Well I just spoke to my vet and Sweetpea's results are back...and didn't show anything unusal :? However my vet said this could be because the liver is so damaged it isn't producing the enzymes they were measuring?

So he has reccomended I book her in for a Biopsy next tuesday, which I have done, I trust this vet completely but still feel unesy about putting a bun who appears healthy through an op, but he said there is definitely something wrong so best to try and find out asap...

So has anyone else had this kind of experience, am I doing the right thing getting the biopsy?

Sorry to hear this, it must be such a worry.
I have no experience in rabbits, but Deli our dali has liver damage. Her ALT enzymes are very high, for dogs they should be below 100 and she is now hitting 600. The liver is an organ which can regenerate and recover very well.
Deli is showing no signs of any problems, and at her age that is all we can hope for.
Milk thistle is good for liver damage, but I don't know what doses you would need for a rabbit.
Once you find out what is wrong it is easier to deal with.
Has she had a scan, it might be worth doing before going into the op. It might show up any growths in the liver.
Good luck.

I have been thinking about this and if she were my Bun I'd probably ask my Vet about treating her with Septrin and Milk Thistle for 2 weeks and seeing if there are any changes in the Liver. Maybe doing an U/S now and repeat in 2 weeks but I'd be rather twitchy about a full laparotomy straight away :?

Just an unqualified suggestion and I'd go with what my Vet advised.

I have been thinking about this and if she were my Bun I'd probably ask my Vet about treating her with Septrin and Milk Thistle for 2 weeks and seeing if there are any changes in the Liver. Maybe doing an U/S now and repeat in 2 weeks but I'd be rather twitchy about a full laparotomy straight away :?

Just an unqualified suggestion and I'd go with what my Vet advised.

I'm going to phone my vet Monday to have a chat about other options, on one hand I don't want to put her through an GA if there is other options, but also I don't want to wait around if a biopsy is the only way to get a diagnosis and get her started on appropriate treatment :?

To add to my worries I found out today that rather than 3 or 4 we thought she was she is more likely 5 or 6 :shock:

I'm going to phone my vet Monday to have a chat about other options, on one hand I don't want to put her through an GA if there is other options, but also I don't want to wait around if a biopsy is the only way to get a diagnosis and get her started on appropriate treatment :?

To add to my worries I found out today that rather than 3 or 4 we thought she was she is more likely 5 or 6 :shock:

Awwwwwww she's still not 'old' even if she is 6.
Here's hoping that the Vets can get her sorted out. At least she is completely oblivious to any potential problem.
You have all the worry though :cry:

Awwwwwww she's still not 'old' even if she is 6.
Here's hoping that the Vets can get her sorted out. At least she is completely oblivious to any potential problem.
You have all the worry though :cry:

Yeah she is completely unaware of how much she is making me worry :roll: :roll:

You wouldn't know there is anything wrong with her :) which I am hoping is a good sign that either it isn't anything too serious or whatever it is has been caught early enough..

Back