• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild Bunnies on my Deck need a Home!!!!

bunnybro

New Kit
Right outside my slide door there is a tree in a pot which a wild bunny decided to make a nest. There were 7 wild bunnies in there for a while, but yesterday they decided to hop out of the pot right after the mom bolted away in the middle of feeding.

Now we have 7 tiny bunnies living on our deck who probably have no way to get down. Is there anyway to tell how old these bunnies are? Should I put them back in their nest or move them to the grass? I don't want them falling off the deck, its about a 6ft drop.

That's a very odd place for her to keep her babies.

Could you give them a ramp or something so they can get back in?

If that doesn't work you could pick them up and put them back in but she might reject them if they smell of you.

Could you put some hay and rabbit pellets in the nest and wear plastic bags on your hand while you do it so as not to pass on your scent? Mum might come back. Young rabbits do wean to solid foods quite early. Mum might still be returning to the nest once a day. If you pick the kits up wear plastic bags also.

I would keep my eye on them and if it doesn't look like they are thriving take them to a rescue.

Rabswood

Don't feed them rabbit pellets, they are designed for domestic rabbits. It's normal for the young to start to leave the nest, they are just growing up :)

How does mum get up and down? If it's up the steps then a a board covered in carpet should work as a ramp. Do you have railings around? A bit of finer mesh or an old sheet pegged around the bottom leaving mums route clear should stop any accidental pludges.

Back