• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying - aftercare?

wee Jimmys mum

Warren Scout
hiya

there are lots of people on this site who have gone through this procedure with their girlie bunnies, and i'd be greatful for some advice on aftercare. my wee one is getting spayed tomorrow :shock:

we want to make sure she's as comfy as possible afterwards

is there anything we should look out for or do to make her comfy?

thanks in advance

xx

Lots of opinions on this I am sure, but this is what I do:-

Keep indoors in a small area ( I use indoor cage for first 48hrs)
Keep her warm and out of drafts
Provide soft bedding such as vetbed as well as hay
Get in some of her favorite foods to tempt her to eat as she may not feel like it for the first night.
Check the wound area periodically to ensure she has not nibbled stitches (many use glue on outside now and stitch inside)

Good luck :wave:

Good advice there ... I'd also say.... Make sure your vet gives a long lasting painkiller and gut stimulant after the op (bear in mind she may need more giving the day after depending on how she is).

She probably won't feel like eating much on the day but should start nibbling by midday the next day, if not have a chat with your vet.

She may be more inclinded to drink from a bowl rather than a bottle.

Sure she'll be ok - good luck!!

yep something soft to lie on,plenty of different foods to try to get her to eat.I used the rabbit recovery sachet and squirted it into her mouth.We have been advised to keep her confined to a 6ftx6ft pen for 1 week to aid the stiches healing.apparently binkying and running /jumping can split them:shock:

poorly bun buns

Hello all, can anyone please give me some advice? my bunny was castrated yesterday and the op itself went well, but later in the evening he had really bad diahhorea, i contacted the on call vet and he suggested pushing fluids to hydrate him, he perked up quite alot but his bottom was in a really bad state, so i took him to the vets this morning to get cleaned up and when i called them this afternoon i was told that they are keeping him in overnight and no one will tell me whats going on!! i'm so worried about him x:cry:

make sure your bun doesn't lick the wound, if so, I would put a big patch of non-sterile pad on it. They are about 4 in. x 3 in. This is how I treated 1 of my bridge bun who has a stitched wound from surgery

I then put non-stick "green" painter tape around the pad, wrap around her fur on all for corners (cross diagonal). They are non stick, as long as you remove them once a day, it doesn't stick to her skin, not to mention I warp it around her fur.

The method works perfectly. The pad is so large, she can't dig thru the pad and touch the wound. And if 1 pad is not large enough, get a 2nd one. A big box of 100 is only like $15.

Now, supposedly, they said the wound needs to breathe, but it will still sealed w/ the pad and prevent you a case of infection.

Also, don't let your bun jump to higher ground, as that stretches the wound

Thanks for the advice :) we're going to make sure her cage is spotless and she has something extra soft to lie on. Lots of hay and yummy food. We'll keep our eye out for licking too hadnt thought about that!

I feel guilty putting her through this she's such a timid wee soul. it means her and jimmy will be able to live together which will hopefuly make em both very happy.

Snoopy noops sorry to hear about your bun! Did you hear any more from the vets ? At least he is in the best place xx

Back