• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dutch baby bunny with floppy ear.

05beckie07

New Kit
When going into the shed this morning I noticed that my smallest Bunny Benji's left ear has gone completely limp, I went to touch it and he got a little aggravated at me, I've phoned the vet but he can't get us in until thursday, and was just basically wandering if anyone had any idea's?

A little info on him : He's 3/4 months old and lives with our older Rabbit Pepper who is also dutch and 13months old. They came from the same breeder. Now whenever I see them thye are perfectly loving to each other, I've never witnessed a fight between them or any behaviour that I would class as bullying.

But I know Pepper could be bullying at night, does it sound as though this could be the case?
Bear in mind poor Benji did have two perfectly straight pricked up ears yesterday :(

It is perfectly normal for a bun to develop an helicopter ear when they get older (one lop - one upright)
However, him being completely lethargic is not.
It sounds like if your other bun has been 'bullying' him he is extremely stressed so may have gone into GI stasis.
You need to find a different vet, as this one obviously isn't capable for emergencies.
I'm sure that there are a few Cambs members on here that can recommend a rabbit savvy vet.
As for the two boys, id' strongly urge that you separate them until they are both neutured. This will stop the fighting as they will have no hormones spurring them on.

I think it is the ear that went limp, not the bunny... From what I can read there is only a concern about the ear, not about the bunny being lethargic! Or am I missing something?

Either way, the bunny needs to see a vet. I would call them again and tell them that it's urgent as the bunny is obviously in pain of some kind.

Vera

It is perfectly normal for a bun to develop an helicopter ear when they get older (one lop - one upright)
However, him being completely lethargic is not.
It sounds like if your other bun has been 'bullying' him he is extremely stressed so may have gone into GI stasis.
You need to find a different vet, as this one obviously isn't capable for emergencies.
I'm sure that there are a few Cambs members on here that can recommend a rabbit savvy vet.
As for the two boys, id' strongly urge that you separate them until they are both neutured. This will stop the fighting as they will have no hormones spurring them on.

I agree, if you want the name of a good vet in Cambs PM me with your exact location and I can recommend 1.

I think it is the ear that went limp, not the bunny... From what I can read there is only a concern about the ear, not about the bunny being lethargic! Or am I missing something?

Either way, the bunny needs to see a vet. I would call them again and tell them that it's urgent as the bunny is obviously in pain of some kind.

Vera

Hmm, I read it as he went limp :?

If the ear has 'dropped' it could be a sign of ear mites or an ear infection. What is the appearance of inside the ear? Is the skin smooth and normal or is it flaky and dry? See the vet asap for a thorough check :)

Back