• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

panacuring on a regular basis

weeble

I was in P@H last night getting some panacur and the assistant was asking how often I panacur them and if it was just precautionary. She also said that not many 'regular' bunny owners do this. I was just wondering if most people on here do?

I'm afraid I've always believed the 9 day course is a waste of money, it is purely for worming and will not have any effect on EC or it's prevention

Even if your rabbit does have worms..and this is VERY rare in buns..you would still need to follow the 28 day course to eliminate the risk that they have passed on the EC parasite.

The link in Sarahp's post above gives the information that was explained by a vet at the RWA conference who had been conducting research into EC....he reinforced my opinion
I would follow his advice for the 28 day treat and clean routine and then only treat again if signs are presented

I'm afraid I've always believed the 9 day course is a waste of money, it is purely for worming and will not have any effect on EC or it's prevention

Even if your rabbit does have worms..and this is VERY rare in buns..you would still need to follow the 28 day course to eliminate the risk that they have passed on the EC parasite.

The link in Sarahp's post above gives the information that was explained by a vet at the RWA conference who had been conducting research into EC....he reinforced my opinion
I would follow his advice for the 28 day treat and clean routine and then only treat again if signs are presented

Agree totally with Jill, and my very experienced bunny vet has also, always felt that a preventative course was pointless.

I don't unless I have reason (which was only once in 10 years of having up to 10 bunnies). I don't like pumping animals full of chemicals unless I have to.

Vera

I wouldn't worm anything unless i needed too. I'm sure it wouldn't cost much to have faecal samples checked at the vets if you were concerned. It seems pointless worming if there is no need.
Helen xx

I personally would not do it any more than necessary and only if the rabbit had reason for it (e.g E.C) and for only that reason. I’ve only had one bunny who suffered E.C and she had 2 relapses of it before passing away. Only in a case like this would I consider using it regularly as a preventative measure, but I would speak to my vet first about whether she thought it to be advisable :?

Stuffing our bunnies with unnecessary chemicals can not be good for them :(

I was actually going through my Bunny First Aid kit at the weekend and found a spare unopened box of Panacur still in-date. I really ought to throw it in the bin or something :?

I was actually going through my Bunny First Aid kit at the weekend and found a spare unopened box of Panacur still in-date. I really ought to throw it in the bin or something :?

Or donate to a Rescue?;)

I went on a mass panacuring exercise after getting a foster with EC. All mine have been treated for 6 weeks panacur, then for 4 weeks a year later. I'm not intending doing it again for reasons mentioned above. A bun is now treated as they come in, during their quarantine period, but that's it unless they show symptoms.

Or donate to a Rescue?;)

Actually i was thinking of offering it to rescues as I was posting :lol: but then I'd just gone on about not giving Panacur unless prescribed on recommendation by a vet I thought people might jump on me for giving it away :oops: But yes if any rescues genuinely have need for it then they're welcome to it, just let me know where to send it. I'll check the date again when I get home to see how long it has left on it.

The last time I went to the vet to get Ebs' VHD jab done, I was asking about rearguard and they foisted flea treatment and panacur upon me.

I haven't got round to the panacur yet because I need to be sure I'm going to be around for the 9 days, plus I've been dubious about giving them it - chemicals etc

Is it a yay or a nay? If its the latter, I'll give mine to a rescue also

I wouldn't worm anything unless i needed too. I'm sure it wouldn't cost much to have faecal samples checked at the vets if you were concerned. It seems pointless worming if there is no need.
Helen xx

The main issue with Panacur/Lapizole is about whether short courses help prevent E Cuniculi, not worms.

I panacur every 6 months because I am paranoid of working at a vets and looking after rabbits with suspected EC or sometimes holding rabbits for pts as they have been brought in with myxi. I never handle my rabbits when I am wearing my uniform as I am so paranoid and don't want them to smell other rabbits either if I have handled rabbits during the day. They do hate it though so maybe I should have a good think of whether it is necessary.

I have ended up treating mine every 6months or so for about 6 weeks just to keep the EC in check. Rolo was quite ill with it for a while until I worked out what it was and then I treated her for 6 weeks and she got much better. Then I thought I'd cracked it and continued cleaning etc but not the Panacur. Eventually the EC symptoms creeped back and so I Panacurred again with further success. So now I do it every 6 months or so and she's very healthy and happy :)

Actually i was thinking of offering it to rescues as I was posting :lol: but then I'd just gone on about not giving Panacur unless prescribed on recommendation by a vet I thought people might jump on me for giving it away :oops: But yes if any rescues genuinely have need for it then they're welcome to it, just let me know where to send it. I'll check the date again when I get home to see how long it has left on it.

:lol::lol::lol:

Some Rescues routinely do it as a bun comes in, so might be useful:D

Back