• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

does this mean hes going blind?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
:( i have noticed that bertie has become more clumcy than ever lately....i put it down to the eye ulcer affecting his eyesight.
well after being outside sunday he couldnt navigate the garden without banging inot washing line pole..solar lamp.....and was loathe to travel far from where he knew the egdes were then suddenly he was running around the circle that bif had made inthe grass..so i thought he was ok.
looking ack it could have been by feel and smell of her i guess.

when he got indoors he coudlnt see..he kept falling over everything and banged his head full pelt on the drinks trolley i had moved to hoover the floor. drinks troley is a weeny circulsr two tier thing on wheels..was for soft drinks tv guide and remotes...whistles.......it needs clearing off!
i put it all down to his eye ulcer...sometimes being a bit clumsy can be due to the fact hes a rew right?

i was rung up by the exotics vet whos been dealing with the follow on form his eye ulcer that wouldnt heal. he said it maybe that being a rew in the sun has affected his eys as theres no pigment to protect them. also like humans coming in form bright light inot a darker room makes vision a bit off. he also said berties eye ulcer wouldnt make him blind wher it sits..it owuld onl make everything a bit darker..a shade of grey maybe.

hes told me to keep an eye on his banging into things..as soemtimes its not their sight itssomething else......and no sunshine for a few days..its gonna rain they say so thats no problem!

tonite he made me laugh as hes loving these beanbags we replaced our 3 piece suite with..he can climb in the dip i leave or jump up next to nikki a lot easier than the furniture even with his doggy steps.
hes very bad with his eyesight..he sniffs like a bloodhound to assert where he is whats around..he has akways been abit like that..he hardly ever opens his eyes properly always semi shut..being a rew its a comon problem ive bene told..my first bun was a rew with siamese smuts in pale grey and pale grey ears..but her eyes were always open wide and they werent mily pink like his..they were ruby red all the time..where he has ruby red eyes when hes excited angry or very very playful and happy.
his eye lashes are so long it looks like fur growing over his eyes.

tuesday now...i will need to ring john chitty back up wed...omg this is terrifying me now....i know buns can cope and he has bif right now..but its still a worry..i can recall the panic on woozles face when he sudenly went blind and lost the use of his back legs that morning..its soemthing i will never forget and thats whats worrying me i guess.

well no sunshine today...and he seemed ok...didnt see him crash or bang into the dorway even..fingers crossed hes going to be ok..i hope so.

Back