• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Survey Into Flystrike

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Just received this alert by e-mail from RWAF. Thought some of you might be interested.

"Please see the message below from the Royal Veterinary College (University of London). Supported by the RWAF, they are doing an important study into Blowfly Strike, which, as we all know, is an upsettingly common killer of pet rabbits. This is the first of two questionnaires; this one is for all rabbit owners, whilst the second will be released later in the year to be completed by anybody (god forbid) whose rabbit has suffered fly strike. I'm sure everyone will give their input because it's such a worthy thing to do, but there are prizes available too...

Blowfly strike in rabbits - a deadly disease

WE NEED YOUR HELP!

Would you like to help improve the understanding of a dangerous disease as well as be in for a chance to win some great rabbit related prizes from www.thehayexperts.com <http://www.thehayexperts.com/> and The Rabbit Welfare Association?

Be part of a nationwide study that will help us to understand why some rabbits are more susceptible to blowfly strike (infestation with maggots) than others.

If your rabbit has suffered blowfly strike in the past, you will know what an unpleasant condition this is. Blowfly strike is not only widespread but also frequently results in the death of the infested rabbit. There are still, however, aspects of the disease that we know relatively little about, such as what factors make certain rabbits more attractive to blowflies than others? We hope to be able to answer questions like this by means of a nationwide survey of caring and responsible rabbit owners organized by the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund and The Royal Veterinary College (University of London).

The survey will be divided into two parts:

(1) The first part is designed to gather together information about your rabbit (breed, sex, age, housing, diet, etc); - FILL THIS IN TODAY!! and

(2) The second part will only need to be completed if your rabbit suffers blowfly strike this year.

This is the first time such a study has been conducted online and should only take around 10 minutes to complete. We will be giving away some great prizes kindly donated from the people at www.thehayexperts.com <http://www.thehayexperts.com/> and The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund for you and your rabbit, the winners will be drawn at random at the end of the study.

If you are a current rabbit owner and would like to help please follow the link below to the survey - and THANK YOU for your help!!
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=_2b879e38uUfNLOmLcoCRcEg_3d_3d"

Sounds good.

We took part in a similar survey a few years ago when our oldie had flystrike, don't remember who was conducting it but the vets rang us while he was in and asked us to take part.

I have submitted 2 - one for Totti (outdoors) and 1 for Billie-Joe (indoors).

Well I hope I submitted them - I got a message about intenet explorer closing the browser then the page went, no confirmation of survey taken so hope it was OK.

I've completed the survey but I based it on a bunny that I had years ago that sadly contracted flystrike. I was very naive and although I checked her undercarriage daily, I didn't check the area where her tail curved round her back and this is where she contracted it :(

We caught it very very early and she was treated very quickly and went on to have a very happy and 'flystrike free' life but it upset me so much

bump!!

It really is quick and easy to complete, and I'm sure will be useful for them :) and therefore us in the future no doubt

Done for both buns! Pretty easy survey. :)

I think it was interesting that there weren't many options for housing. My buns are both free range indoors, and I had to write it in myself. Just interesting how house bunnies are still so far from mainstream.

I have submitted some for my rabbits. Though I found the question about amount of pellets/hay not useful. So although I said I feed pellets, I then ticked 0% of pellets as it comes to no more than 10% compared to the hay and veg... Equally I ticked 75% hay, eventhough in reality it is more... But it's the closest I could tick because the scale was not accurate enough.

Vera

I have submitted some for my rabbits. Though I found the question about amount of pellets/hay not useful. So although I said I feed pellets, I then ticked 0% of pellets as it comes to no more than 10% compared to the hay and veg... Equally I ticked 75% hay, eventhough in reality it is more... But it's the closest I could tick because the scale was not accurate enough.

Vera

Yeah I agree with that, it seems silly, I mean it wasn't even 0-25%, just 0% or 25% etc

Back