• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril cause orange wee?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

One of the girls has been producing orange wee for a few days now. Molly started her baytril 10 days ago, but I'm still wondering if it's here. I've looked at their bums, and there is no sign of orange wee on either of them. I know it's not too much of a worry (there's no blood spots) but I would like to know the cause. They do not have any fruit or veg so no colouring from there. They are both fine in themselves.

Have they had dandelions? they sometimes cause it.
I believe there is also a link with stress or illness: Tippex Porkychicken had it after her spay, and also when she was recovering from e.c.
I have not come across it happening after baytril, but I'm not sure.

Funny you should mention dandelions as they have had a fair few recently. They have either a few daisies or dandelion heads daily, so maybe that's the cause.

Here is an article on "Red Urine" from the HRS, on the so named colored pee going from yellow, orange, brown etc due to vegetal pigments containing beta carotene found in most green leaves vegs.. but also during certain antibiotics treatments : Chloe my rabbit has permanent orange-fluo urine due to her pellets which we found contained additiona beta-carotene:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html

Back