• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Back to the vets tomorrow - U/D back from vets, need advise giving bun an inhaler

Alfie has been on Bisolvon for nearly one week. I have seen a slight improvement, he seems a bit happy and relaxed and at some points his breathing seems normal. He still can't flop and is snezzing

The other treatment we tried was a steroid injection, now on this his was back to normal. He didn't sit still for two days unless he was doing happy flops, it was lovely to watch.

Now when I go back tomorrow we will be discussing if we should continue with the Bisolvon or start using a nebuliser to get the steroids into Alfie (as this would be safer/less side effects than tablets or injections).

I really don't know what to do for the best. I'd love to just say give me the steroids as he was soo much better on them, back to my old Alfie :love: but long term they aren't good to be on them all the time :cry:

I know it's a desicion for my vet and I but I would really like to have some fed back from you guys.

P.s incase you don't know we suspect he has something similar to Asthma as chest x-rays/heart scans show nothing wrong.

Last edited:
I would ask the vet exactly what the long term affects of steriods are likely to be, and how long would they take to negatively effect him?

I have to say I would rather have 1 year of a happy lively bunny than 4 years of a under the weatehr bunny who doesn't run around or flop :? Guess it just depends on the likely effects and whether there is a chance he could improve further on the bisolven?

Smokey did well on an inhaler, being given, an bronchiodilator twice a day and a steriod once a day. He had 8 months more than we expected him to have, and only developed secondary respiratory infections twice. We eventually lost him to suspected E.c, whether his immunity was lowered by the steriod we'll never know, but I would do the same again.

Just a question, why are steriods considered so bad in rabbits, in truth they a bad for any animal to be used long term, but sometimes there are no other options.

That's what I'm thinking, but then I wonder if we are giving up to easy trying to find a treatment.

I 'think' the side effects are lower immune system etc, having spoken to a few people on here I can maybe buy Alfie 6-12 months. But what if there is something better out there that will take longer to kick in, but give him a full happy life?

We also think it may be linked with the weather, so I don't want to pump him full of steroids then he might recover in September.

He still runs about, just needs to have a rest and watching him rocking does break my heart :cry:.

He is treating another Rex at the moment with similar symptons to Alfie and he does really well on Bisolvon and improves depending on the weather which is why William (vet) said we should give it a go.

Smokey did well on an inhaler, being given, an bronchiodilator twice a day and a steriod once a day. He had 8 months more than we expected him to have, and only developed secondary respiratory infections twice. We eventually lost him to suspected E.c, whether his immunity was lowered by the steriod we'll never know, but I would do the same again.

Just a question, why are steriods considered so bad in rabbits, in truth they a bad for any animal to be used long term, but sometimes there are no other options.

Thats what our Vet said - Steroids are bad for anyone but sometimes they are the only thing that works.

I found the summer a real worry with Smokey, I think the heat was the biggest problem. Why don't you try a bronchiodilator in the inhaler to begin with. it might be enough, rather than start on steriods. We used ventolin evohaler and an aerokat feline aerosl chamber.

I was OK, he didb wriggle a bit at times, but it was good because it has a mask to go over the face and you just gave a couple of pumps, I then kept it over his face for a count of 6 and that was it. We used the larger face mask to begin with, and it was harder for him to wriggle away, it was pretty easy really, I guess it depends on the rabbit though!:lol:

This is it, http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-2853-aerokat-feline-aerosol-chamber.aspx?gclid=CMWUxbertJoCFRSfnAodVCNUcQ.

You vet might have one in stock as they are used for asthmatic cats.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information will take it to the vets tomorrow.

Can I ask what was wrong with Smokey if you don't mind? Just so I can tell my vet.

We never really found out, his breathing gradually got worse and worse while we had him. He had been left behind in a house when his owners moved. He was only saved by the neighbours when they heard the 9 guinea pigs, who were also left behind squealing.
One of our vets suspected old scaring due to a previously untreated infection and the other thought it was an asthma/ allergy type disease. We did get him x-rayed and blood sampled, the x-rays should nothing unusual, but the eosinophils in his bloods were increased, which can be a sign of allergies. I supposed I should have had a pm done, but he was PTS on a saturday morning, so I think he would have been frozen/ fridged until the monday, and I was too upset to consider it.

We are back from the vets.

Alfie has had a steroid injection and I have got a Feline Aerosol Chamber. I have got to go and put in his prescription for his inhaler.

His had a steroid injection as the inhaler takes up to two weeks to kick in, so William (vet) has said if I feel Alfie needs another injection next week to just take him back.

I now need ideas as to how I'm going to get this chamber over Alfie's nose longer enough! Any suggestions welcome, the only thing I can think at the moment is to wrap him up in a towel.

Can you get one of those small pet carriers, make it air tight and attache the inhaler to that or does it need to be directly on his little face?

Can you get one of those small pet carriers, make it air tight and attache the inhaler to that or does it need to be directly on his little face?

This needs to be direct on his face.

If this is to stressful we will have to try the nebuliser where I can out him in a carrier, but William feels this is the best way to get the steroids in and at the right amount.

I would use a towel first, Smokey didn't like the inhaler, but after a wee struggle gave in. The cup makes it quite easy to fit over the face, we used the large sized cup, mainly because Smokey would chew the edge of the small cup. Does your one have a valve in it, ours did and it made it easy to check he was taking in the air, we held it for 6 breaths. I don't think it is too unpleasant so hopefully he will settle to the idea, we always gave Smokey a yoghurt drop after.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.:)

Yes it does have a value. I was going to use the small cup but might try the big as Alfie likes chewing as well :)

I will let you know how we get on, will prob do the first one tomorrow as have to get the inhaler bit yet.

Yes it does have a value. I was going to use the small cup but might try the big as Alfie likes chewing as well :)

I will let you know how we get on, will prob do the first one tomorrow as have to get the inhaler bit yet.

Good luck, I always gave it on the floor, just incase he made a jump for it, at least then he wasn't likely to hurt himself.

Back