• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Friend's and Family's attitudes towards bunnies

Biscuit Bunny

Alpha Buck
Do you guys get the same?

When I said to my mum that Biscuit's treatment cost £80 my step dad chipped in that it was only a rabbit and we shouldn't have wasted our money. When I pointed out that he would pay whatever it costs for their cat he said that rabbits were hardly the same.

My guys at work all found it amusing when my bunny was ill and kept asking if she had died yet and whether it was rabbit for dinner. I try not to mention Biscuit to them at all but had to on this occasion as had to take A/L to rush her to the vets.

My friends go on and on and on about their kids or dogs etc, and if I mention my bunny they all roll their eyes as if I am a sad old woman with no life.

No one apart from my bunny friend's ever ask about her.

:censored:

Last edited:
Yes I get the same!
My view is you either have pets and look after them properly or you don't have pets at all.
Most of my family do take the 'it's only a rabbit' attitude but when I point out what they do for their own pets they realise its just the same whether your pet is a dog, rabbit or cat .

My mum humours me I think but yes I totally understand what you mean

Like you've said, people go on endlessly about their dogs/cats/kids but I think peoples ignorance towards rabbits. That they belong in a hutch at the end of the garden :roll: they don't realise how loving they are with such superb personalities :love:

This annoys me,we spent about £500 getting Daisy well after her spay and people would look at me as if I was mad,yet they would think nothing of spending that on a dog or cat [have done it in the past myself and got sympathy for it]. Next time someones dog/cat dies I'm going to take a deep breath and ask if they are currying it for tea :evil:

Next time someones dog/cat dies I'm going to take a deep breath and ask if they are currying it for tea :evil:

That made me gasp and think 'god how horrible' but its exactly the same as people saying it to us about our buns. One of the girls at work had a house rabbit and one of the captains was taking the **** out of her when he sadly passed away to the point where it made her cry:censored:

I always just roll my eyes at my family when they mention "rabbit stew"
Although my dad thinks some of my vet trips have been "un-nessasary" I do remind him that its ME who pays for vet bills, and its me whos went out to earn that money, so im not harming anyone!
Luckily the niegbhours who live next door to me (not that chavvy 1s i always post about! :lol:) there a great lover of animals, and always hand over veggies etc for them, and her hubby has offered to do the inside of my shed out, and fit the catflap on the shed door for me!
If friends and family dont like my animals, or like te fact I keep them - i dont force them to speak to me or go near the animals, but i wouldnt stop keeping my lovley fuzzies just to keep other people happy!

I'm lucky with my friends and family as most of them are very understanding. Though some may think that it's silly to spend that kind of money on pets at vets, they don't say so ... which I appreciate. :) My mum sometimes comments that it is a lot of money to spend on pets (be it rabbits, be it dogs), but that's not because she doesn't care, it's just that this is not how things were done in the old days, so she doesn't quite understand it! But she wouldn't critizise me for it as such...

If anyone does say anything, I just say that I don't smoke or drink and that I spend my money on my pets instead which is a much healthier option for me too... That normally shuts people up. :lol:

Vera

That made me gasp and think 'god how horrible' but its exactly the same as people saying it to us about our buns. One of the girls at work had a house rabbit and one of the captains was taking the **** out of her when he sadly passed away to the point where it made her cry:censored:

What a complete b******

I was told my last bunny was dying while I was at work by my hubby and I of course got upset but tried to suck it up, people looked at me like I had completely lost the plot.

I've not had it with the rabbit Floppy as such yet coz he's not been poorly ;) when i had his injections done i got "never did that in my day" :roll: when we spent nearly 5k getting my dogs leg better everyone was saying no way would they have paid that they'd of just PTS :cry: i've got all my animals insured for this reason so i can afford any treatment they may need ;)

You get that with all kinds of animals, normally least "common" ones though. Rabbits here are usually compared to cats and dogs (not treated as well though, since they usually live in small cages). its usually "farm animals" that people act like don't matter, like chickens, ducks, goats, etc.

yup, same attitude towards me from my family etc and y'know what? i really don't give a :censored: anymore what anyone thinks - harsh i know but i never ever pre-judge anyone and their actions or paths that they take through life so i have now developed a very thick skin as not everyone is like this.......

i think this change in my attitude was forced in a way when i had a child and didn't adopt the 'gotta be like all the others' ways. i did - and still do - what i feel is good for my child and he's turning out great - so far......

x

I'm quite lucky as my mum and dad love animals and will do anything for them. My boyfriend was really worried when Amber was poorly and most of my friends were sympathetic so i didn't get any silly comments. I don't think they'd dare say 'it's only a rabbit' to me!!!!!

I'm lucky too that my friends and family all have positive attitudes to Deej. The only think I ever used to get was stick at work for being obsessed with our pet rats at the time, but to be fair I was. :oops::oops::oops:

my mum understands abut vet bills for the rabbits she used to even take my hamster to the vets when i was little!

My dad however desnt see hy should pay lts of money for treatment he said f ther really that ill that ts gunna cost that much maybe its better to pts :shock:

my workmates just take the wee out of me for having rabbits :roll: but im someone who dont let many things get to me and wont listen/care to what others think about me

Fortunately my parents raised me to understand and appreciate all life, be it that of a person or of an animal, so they understand completely. It also helps that they’re animal lovers ;) Friends understand, or at least they pretend to understand, and none of them makes a joke about rabbit stew or suggests buying another rabbit instead of paying vet bills. A few people have done that in the past and they got a very angry and slappy response from me about it so I expect they know better than to mention anything these days :censored:

Mind you, a colleague was instantly in hysterics last week when I mentioned that some vegetables are quite gassy for rabbits, she went on and on about how hilarious rabbit farts would be and digging herself into a deeper and deeper hole. When I could get a word in edgeways outside of her howling laughter I mentioned that it was very serious for rabbits and that the one I’d lost recently was because of gas and bloat :censored: She very quickly sobered-up out of the laughing fit and apologised and felt terrible, I know she would never outright laugh at someone losing a pet but I hope it’s made her think twice about laughing at pet dilemmas in future :?

I am quite lucky with mine really. My sister, aunt and best mate tell me I am a bit boring sometimes when I go on about them so I try to keep it down - but I do go on about them alot. I have taken to the habit of announcing bunny stories so people can switch off with my permission :lol:

At work and with my study supervisors they are very supportive and one lady actually congratulated me for caring so much that I was prepared to do so much for them!!! Plus at work they let me arrive late everyday for a week with no need to take leave or make up the time, when I had to give Ramabldi injections. I am very blessed. It helpd that one of my rabbits was rescued from a lady at work though!

Having said that strangers and people that don't know me very well always come out with **** comments. With colleagues I punish them by not doing them 'favours' (of the 'can you just, I need this now' kind) and let them know how peed off with them I am. With strangers there isn't much you can do. Friday I paid for a taxi to pick me up from the emergency vet at 11:00PM!!! Can you imagine the cost! Well, you'd have thought the driver would realise saying 'rabbits are for dinner' was not a good idea. No tip for him :evil:

Emma

Unfortunately people inc families esp!! are far too quick to judge....I think what the hell has it got to do with them - you have made your choice to have your pets and aslong as you look after them and pay what needs to be paid WITHOUT constantly turning to them for handouts then they have no right to comment.

I had the same...I had my GSD Apollo in Sept 2006, I then had his half sister from his breeder in Sept 2008....my mom said why do you need another one?? I said because I can!
then I get my 5 piggies in Jan this year and fostered a group of 3 for a rescue center for 2months - my mom questioned why are you taking in other peoples pigs?? :roll: ...I couldnt be bothered to try and explain that I was helping and that I didnt want anything in return!
Then when I get my bun Oscar....'what have you dont that for??' :roll: again because I can!
All of my pets are amasingly looked after, and live as they should with lots of stimulation and I pay for EVERYTHING quite comfortably...end of
Some people cant understant that life doesnt always revolve around number 1...and if you are the type of person who will do what they can to help then good for you I say

Fortunately for me, my blood family feel the same as me although the outlaws think I'm a mad animal woman. Quite frankly, I don't care any more. As long as my animals come first, the outlaws can do and think exactly as they like. I won't compromise my position to accommodate their views and they know that.

As for work colleagues - most are understanding but I still get the odd 'rabbit stew' comment etc. If someone says it to me now, I just give them a very hard stare and say "I don't find that amusing - in fact, it's very disrespectful". They're usually embarrassed enough to shut up :lol:

You have to accept that not everyone has the same views as us animal lovers but in my mind, if they don't appreciate animals, they're just not worth knowing.

Back