• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suncream

Troublesome Two

Young Bun
Hi,

Has any come across a suncream for Buns?

Both our Buns love sunbathing in the garden and follow the sun around the garden.

One is harlequin so not too worried but Pebs is X English Spot so is pretty much white and wondered if there are creams to use as all white cats friends have had have delevoped ear/nose cancer.

They always groom each other all over so it would need be a bun cream i guess.

Sorry I don't know of a suncream, but I thought it only affected animals with white ears and noses? :? By that account I always assumed that English Butterfly/Spot bunnies were okay as they usually have darker markings on their noses and ears. I could be totally wrong on that point though.

True. Thats what i thought as well but she has a white nose, her butterfly markings dont extend to obver the nose.

She also has white bands through her ears.

Guess over protective but just wondered if such a thing existed.

I have been putting a tiny bit of kids suncream on my buns ears as they seemed to be getting red in the sun. :D

Oh god, have I got to worry about skin cancer now!!! Our 2 are pretty much white all over:roll: They are lops so I'm thinking .....Sunhats:)

This isn’t necessarily the cheapest (or most suitable) product out there, it was just a quick Google search, but Pet Suncream does seem to exist as a product...

http://www.petremedies.co.uk/Sun-Protection/Pet-Screen/p-56-118/?gclid=CMjloN-NtJoCFQiF3godXhHobQ

Not sure if it’s anything more to it than regular kids suncream marketed as suitable for pets (and at a higher price :? ) although it does include ‘rabbit ears’ on the suggested list at the bottom of the page as areas that need protecting.

This isn’t necessarily the cheapest (or most suitable) product out there, it was just a quick Google search, but Pet Suncream does seem to exist as a product...

http://www.petremedies.co.uk/Sun-Protection/Pet-Screen/p-56-118/?gclid=CMjloN-NtJoCFQiF3godXhHobQ

Not sure if it’s anything more to it than regular kids suncream marketed as suitable for pets (and at a higher price :? ) although it does include ‘rabbit ears’ on the suggested list at the bottom of the page as areas that need protecting.

I've used that on my dogs in the past. It's got something in it to make it taste foul (I got some on my hands and it's horrid!). So I think that's the only difference. If you think they're going to lick it straight off their ears, you might want to give the animal stuff a try rather than the kids stuff. Failing that, make some ear socks :lol::lol:

Back