• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finders Keepers

Dustye

Young Bun
Lucky day! I use two joined puppy pens for my rabbit run, and always wish I had one more so I could have a REALLY big run. The price of the things puts me off ($60-$80).
Well today I found two (!!) in someone's curb-side trash pile. I made my husband turn around immediately--even though he was late for work (it only took a half minute)--and I threw them in the car.
Whoo hoo!

Ever rob good trash?

That's awesome! You'll post pictures, won't you? :D

I've never found bunny stuff in the trash, but once, my former OH was driving buy and found a perfectly good entertainment center and matching bookcases! We had no money for nice furniture, so that was a good day!

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Very true.

I rescued a hamster cage from out recent rubbish day and put it in the bin so no one thought about putting another poor hammy in there, it was tiny. I also got a really nice pedastal type planter. Its lovely planted up now.

not trying to spoil the fun but legally u have to ak the owners permission even if its in their curb side trash before taking it...not that i can see them saying no but i wouldnt put too much onto an online site as if owners did get funny they could charge u with theft. however it sounds a great find but for anyone else consiering htis just knock on door or pop note through asking first! :) also for those interested try ur local freecycle! :):)

Nice one!
My O/H calls me a dingle for even considering it!

At the tip the other week I nearly gained a turtle sandpit that a guy was throwing in the skip... I asked him if I could have it - shocked but he said yea I'm throwing it away! Then... the tip monkey came and told me I wasn't allowed to do this.. it's classed as waste transfer.. erm no it's recycling and saving some room in landfill! What a jobsworth! I did happen to mention that it's more like she wanted it for the tip shop.. (yes our tip pilfer things from the skip, and take them to the tip shop hidden behind a huge container and sell them...) hmmm is this legal?!?!?!?

We now make sure anything that is sellable is "broken" or defaced prior to taking it to the tip, as they will have the stuff out of your boot if it's sellable in their shop! (Either that or we pop it into a bag of smelly rabbit waste) :lol::lol:

Shame cos I love other peoples junk :) Lucky you - but be careful as someone else mentioned.. taking other peoples rubbish could well be illegal! :lol:

Yep I have raided a number of skips for natural stone for a wall I was building. Mostly I knock and ask and some people have even helped me load it into the boot of my car :)

Rabswood

Iv'e had a pair of kitchen stools, a couple of sofas and some other bits and peices. I always ask [permission first though, it's just polite.
On the subject of tips.....ours do that too. I was in there the other day and there was this hideously tiny hutch for sale. I explained to the guy that it was illegal under the animal welfare act to put a rabbit in it (was only 2 foot or so) and bless him he smashed it up! I must admit I was very surprised. Wish it was so easy in all shops :roll:

I must admit that im begining to get more like step toe and son every day since getting my Benjy, lol. I look at everything and think "mmm how could i turn that into a rabbit run, or extend his hutch" sad aint I:lol: I do love a good find.

Back