• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Travelling bunnies??

PearlyGirl

Mama Doe
My husband is in the army and we have a bbq at the end of the month to go to which would mean us staying over at his camp. we were wondering whether we could take the bunnies with us and set up our spare nic cubes into a base and leave them with the run of his room during the day and keep checking on them rather than leave them at home and have someone come in to feed them, which would mean they would be in their cage here without any freedom.
Does this sound silly? would they be ok in new surroundings?

My husband is in the army and we have a bbq at the end of the month to go to which would mean us staying over at his camp. we were wondering whether we could take the bunnies with us and set up our spare nic cubes into a base and leave them with the run of his room during the day and keep checking on them rather than leave them at home and have someone come in to feed them, which would mean they would be in their cage here without any freedom.
Does this sound silly? would they be ok in new surroundings?

i dont mind coming round to see to them for you!

My vet wrote this to me last year when we wre in a fix as to where to take our buns

Original Message -----

Sent: 21/09/08 04:13 pm

To: 'Ivor Middleton'

Subject: RE: Rabbits and Travelling

Hello Ivor,

It is certainly not ideal to travel long distances with rabbits. However, if you keep the car well ventilated and cool and provide fresh food and hay (and also water if the journey is longer than 20 minutes) then if waggytails is the next best alternative then the journey shouldn’t cause undue stress for your rabbit. Rabbits can develop GI stasis,or even go into shock, raised heart rates in rabbits can cause heart attcks or even bring on fits, Please make sure upon arrival that your rabbits are put in a hutch and left for a few hours with observations, that they are moving around , drinking and eating also make sure that boarding establishment knows a vet who will provide good advice if there is a problem.

The only alternative that we have heard of is ‘Holiday hutches in your home area I don’t have any knowledge regarding the standard of care or housing offered by this business so it is worth checking this out before booking accommodation.
We can recomend waggytails as we do know them, we know the standard of care within their buisness, the accomodation is very clean and Tina is very knowledgeable with all her charges. I personally have used to Tina to care for my own rabbits , they always come back well cared for and in exceptional condition.

Yours Sincerely,

Nigel Smallwood

Holiday Hutches is a regular user on here I believe and comes highly recommended. I've travelled with a bun for over 3 hours on a bunny run and she was fine with apple for fluid instead of water as they don't tend to drink.

Back