• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!!!

Hollie's Ark

Young Bun
Hi guys

My rabbit Barney died over 3 weeks ago, and his girlfriend Rosie was left behind sad and lonely. We found a nice single boy at the RSPCA and they agreed to try and bond them. As they don't have a lot of time, I don't think they did it properly really and didn't give them enough time together in the run, 10 mins a day for the odd day here and there, otherwise they were in seperate runs next to each other. Well they gave up and asked me to come and collect her today, so now I am back at square one.

I am getting lot of conflicting opinions now, the RSPCA said I could bond her with a baby rabbit (they have just had some tiny 7 weeks old ones come in) as they think she will take to it better as there is no threat etc. Other people have said I couldn't until the baby was an adult. A breader local to me has said she thinks it's a bad idea, as Rosie could kill the baby.

I have no idea what to do for the best, I got Rosie this time last year to go with Barney, and she had just had babies taken away. It was love at first sight.

What do you think I should do for the best? It wont be for 3 weeks now as I am going away for a couple of weeks soon.

Help!!!

Thanks Hollie

Are there no other rescues near you that could do the bonding properly. I don't think the baby rabbit is a good idea really.

When rabbits are bonded they shouldn't be seperated and then put back together otherwise you're just starting again each time you seperate, they should be introduced on completely neutral territory and space should be limited to encourage them to bond. Perhaps offer to adopt the rabbit or a different one from the RSPCA and bond them yourself if they'll agree to that? I think an adult rabbit would be better because then you don't have the hormones the baby will have as it grows up, he will probably be neutered already and you'll also be helping a bunny in a rescue instead.

Yes there is a rescue that would bond them for me, they charge £5 a day and would give it 100%. That is where I got Rosie from and they bonded Barney when I was on holiday and he was boarding with them.

This is what I really wanted to do, and I asked the RSPCA but they said they would expext me to keep the rabbit for a month before returning him if it didn't work out, but the bonding place said they would know within a week to 10 days if they were ever going to get on or not.

I am quite upset really as the bun I wanted to rescue was so sweet and nice natured, and I was happy to pay for someone to bond them.

I think because they have tried it, they wouldn't let me adopt him now.

I am disappointed as I really think if I had been allowed to take him to the other place I would have had them home and in love by now, as they lady there is great and that is what she does.

The RSPCA have 4 baby boys in right now and nothing else, and none of the other rescue places have anything suitable.

Yes there is a rescue that would bond them for me, they charge £5 a day and would give it 100%. That is where I got Rosie from and they bonded Barney when I was on holiday and he was boarding with them.

This is what I really wanted to do, and I asked the RSPCA but they said they would expext me to keep the rabbit for a month before returning him if it didn't work out, but the bonding place said they would know within a week to 10 days if they were ever going to get on or not.

I am quite upset really as the bun I wanted to rescue was so sweet and nice natured, and I was happy to pay for someone to bond them.

£5 a day is a bargain. If they know what theyre doing, they would know if they were going to bond within a few days! My bunnies, Ronnie and Lola went away last Saturday and came back bonded on Sunday evening!! :) I think it depends how much time and patience the bonders have got.

Dont give up on your bunnies :) Where abouts are you from? Maybe someone on here could help? xXx

I wont give up, I am determined to find Rosie and nice friend, it's just difficult with all the conflicting stories and opinions.

I live in Somerset, near Bristol. I would love another orange lop like Barney was. I think lops are a bit more docile and that is what Rosie likes I think. Barney was a lazy bun, used to flop on the grass and Rosie would wash him.

I would happily pay for someone to bond Rosie with another rabbit for me, she deserves to be happy again.

If Rosie was washing him i wouldnt of split them up, grooming is a good sign in bonding. Sounds as if they didnt know what there were doing. What was the reason for splitting them up??

I think theres a 'Bristol Rabbit Rescue' isnt there? The lady comes on here sometimes

Rosie used to wash Barney, he is the bunny that died 3 weeks ago.

I used Avon Small Animal Rescue last year and Sharon is amazing, that is where I would have liked to have taken Rosie and the rescue bun, but they wouldn't let me.

Rosie used to wash Barney, he is the bunny that died 3 weeks ago.

I used Avon Small Animal Rescue last year and Sharon is amazing, that is where I would have liked to have taken Rosie and the rescue bun, but they wouldn't let me.

Oh sorry, im getting confused :oops: I thought u meant she was washing the rspca bun! i was going to say, something isnt right there!! :lol:

Have you looked in RR? If theres nothing there, it may be worth putting a post up here to see if anyone has any buns in your area for rehoming :)

I know its stressful finding a rescue bunny :( Alot of the rescues on here rehome nationally, and bunnyruns are sometimes organised to get the new bunny to you :D This would mean youd have to find someone to bond near to you though xXx

Thanks for all your help. Getting someone to bond is not a problem, it's just a worry if they don't get on and I'm stuck with two singles!

It is difficult really!

Thanks for all your help. Getting someone to bond is not a problem, it's just a worry if they don't get on and I'm stuck with two singles!

It is difficult really!

Yeah thats right, 2 singles isnt great! I know :lol: :oops:

What about speed dating :D :D Does any rescue near you do that, so Rosie can choose her own husband? :) xXx

I don't think so, there don't seem to be any suitable neautred boys round here at all. I would be happy to travel for her though.

Do places do speed dating for buns? lol

I don't think so, there don't seem to be any suitable neautred boys round here at all. I would be happy to travel for her though.

Do places do speed dating for buns? lol

Yep Fat Fluffs in Solihull do :) You take bunny along and they would find her a suitable husbun! Its something to consider. Its worth ringing round a few rescues to see. If you dont ask, you dont know ;) xXx

I would suggest that you do not go for a baby rabbit that has not been neutered. Problems will almost certainly arise when teenage hormones kick in. Do you know how long ago single rspca boy was neutered? I know that some branches of the RSPCA only neuter once the bun is about to go to it's new home so hormones can be pretty high. It may be worth while trying again in a few weeks.

We are a little way away from you but can sometimes squeeze in a rabbit that isn't our own for bonding in return for a donation. if you are interested e-mail team@fatfluffs.com. If you have a look at the website www.fatfluffs.com and see any bunnies that take your fancy we could also try Rosie with one of them.

If the distance is too far, there is a rescue closer to you, I can't remember the name. Have a look here to see if there are any available bunnies http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search_form.asp

I wont give up, I am determined to find Rosie and nice friend, it's just difficult with all the conflicting stories and opinions.

I live in Somerset, near Bristol. I would love another orange lop like Barney was. I think lops are a bit more docile and that is what Rosie likes I think. Barney was a lazy bun, used to flop on the grass and Rosie would wash him.

I would happily pay for someone to bond Rosie with another rabbit for me, she deserves to be happy again.

hey if u are willing to travel alice chamberlain of windwhistle warrens in gloucester has over 100 bunnys at her rescue and a neutered boy would be a sure fine... there are a few on the website or rr...but many more there she will do bondings too... if u want to contact her here is website...
http://www.windwhistlewarren.org.uk/ email is
contact@windwhistlewarren.org.uk or u can pm me for a telephone number if u like. x

I used Avon Small Animal Rescue last year and Sharon is amazing

Sharron posted a while back as had to rehome a lot of her rescues due to a relationship breakdown although there are still some on her site. I'm not sure if she still operates her boarding service as was trying to sell her house so you may want to check.

There is also Cottontails which I think is near Keynsham. They operate a rabbit dating (match up) service.

http://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/

Thank you very much everyone for your help, I really appreciate it.

Sharon is still doing bondings as I phoned her about the RSPCA bun and she said she would happily do it, but they wouldn't agree at the centre.

I will get in touch with the centre at Gloucester as they are bond to have something suitable.

ecudc - if the rehome with Luigi falls through, please let me know as he is gorgeous and like my bunny Barney that died. I don't want to replace Barney but would really like another one that is similar!

I'll keep searching, would be good if I could find one by the weekend, as I am going away for 2 weeks on the 19th, so would happily leave Rosie at a bonders while I am away.

Thanks again everyone!

Hollie

There is also Cottontails which I think is near Keynsham. They operate a rabbit dating (match up) service.

http://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/

I have seen this site before and would love to use them but I don't have a run permanently attached to the hutch so I don't think she would rehome a rabbit with me.

I don't want a permanent run either, as I wouldn't want to risk foxes getting them at night, I feel safe when they are locked up at night in the porch.

Back