• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please bitting rabbit

Hi i have a Giant French Lopeared female rabbit. She is about 6mths old, I can fuss her with no problem and she will hop up to me but as soon as i try to pick her up she will bite me, also when i clean her cage out she will come up behind me and bite me on the backside. She also has a thing for bitting my shoes. I just don't understand it as i have said i can fuss her without her bitting. It is getting to the stage that i have to get someone to watch out for her so i can clear her cage out. Any help please.

hi,

Could be a number of things! Is she neutered? It does sound as though she is displaying territorial tendancies towards her hutch which neutering can help.

A lot of bunnies bite, or nip to get attention or to say hello. Their language is different to ours.

Quite a few of the rabbits here love to chew crocs when they are being cleaned out, I guess, just becaues they can!

Alice

hi,

Could be a number of things! Is she neutered? It does sound as though she is displaying territorial tendancies towards her hutch which neutering can help.

A lot of bunnies bite, or nip to get attention or to say hello. Their language is different to ours.

Quite a few of the rabbits here love to chew crocs when they are being cleaned out, I guess, just becaues they can!

Alice

I agree. Try ignoring her when she bites. A reaction is a response. it's a bit like children doing naughty things for attention. Try only interacting with her when she isn't nipping.

bitting rabbit

Thank you for your replys no she is not neutered but if that will help. It is a bit hard not to jump up when she bites as she is big even when i am sitting in a chair she will come up behind me and bite. It must be me lol as she is fine with my 18yr old daughter. I will be taking her to the vets to get her neutered though.

my conti giant is the same she nips alot and has broken skin badly twice, she is spayed and is still hurrendosly territorial just thought id let you no as spaying mite only make the problem less occourant rather than go away completly. but i do think you should book her in for her health and so that she stops nipping as much :)

Back