• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

NIC cubes - my bun escaped!!!

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
OH MY GOD!!!

I'm staying at my parents' for the weekend, we've got Beau in the kitchen in his indoor cage with NIC cube pen. He's in the kitchen cos we can let him out in there without bunny-proofing cos there's nothing to destroy.

As soon as he saw the back door was open HE THREW HIMSELF AT THE NIC CUBES AND BROKE HIS WAY OUT!! There was nothing between him and the open garden, 1.75 acres, no fence, road nearby, two cats of our own, numerous neighbours cats and dogs and god knows what wildlife.

I was in the other room, my mum screamed, I was in the other room and ran thru, it was like she paniced and couldn't move, so I ran and shut the back door and FORETUNATELY he didn't get further than the kitchen table (my mum's pretty scary when she screams!!!

My heart beat so fast, I've never been so scared in all my life, and even when I think back on it my heart starts racing again!!!

He is now cable-tied in there like fort knocks, he'll need a hammer and chisel to get out!!!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about you experience yesterday :(. I'm sure he only wanted to do some exploring, but they can't see the dangers like us humans. :shock: Once his settled a bit he'll be fine.
What about you and your poor mother! Hot sweet tea to calm the nerves would have been in order or perhaps something stronger!

They keep us on our toes!
Twitching noses
Shirl

OMG like a scene from the great escape :shock::shock::shock:

little monster he is :no: glad he didnt get out :D

Was the set-up cable-tied before he got out? I reckon our buns wud escape if there were no cable ties so there also secured in with probably over 200 ties hehe

Same thing happened to me once! Of course, I live on the 5th floor in an apartment, so it was no tragedy that Milo escaped. But I was sleeping, and the OH had locked up Milo because he wouldn't stop chewing the molding on the walls. Everything is zip-tied, except the entrance, which we've been using two twisty-ties. Milo just ran head first into the door and busted through the twist ties! :shock:

Lesson Learned: Milo does NOT like to be caged for long periods (1 hour :roll:) of time. :lol:

barnes broke out of his nic pen when he first came to live here, as i'd bunny-proofed the room i wasn't too bothered, but i put a floor level in the grid system when i moved him upstairs for re-flooring. i think that adding the floor makes the entire structure more stable, cover it with blankies and old carpet helps too.

Get yourself some cable ties! Dillan broke out of his quite a few times and trashed my room whilst i was out! Once i used cable ties to tie it together he stopped trying to trash his cage and escape.
Helen xx

I'm lucky to have pet friendly neighbours (and thank god a collie next door who thinks bunnies are to play with like another dog!) because everytime I thought I'd bunny proofed the garden Collar prooved me wrong. A neighbour 3 doors down bought him back one day. He promptly became "an exercise in the house" bunny only but since Sasha has been about he's not tried to escape once. He wasn't bothered about leaving Mouse but he knows when Sash isn't there!

Back