• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby wild bunny (again!) advice pls

Hello all! Last year you guys helped me ENORMOUSLY during my very traumatic experience of hand-rearing a very young wild baby bunny. That one died, but your advice helped me rear several more sucessfully since then. I now have a slightly different problem, one that's a bit older. It was brought into the vets after being got by a cat and is injured. The injury is healing well but can you guys please help on a few other points? The biggest thing I'm worried about is stress, I can't believe it hasn't died already! It's not eating so I'm syringing it with bio-lapis/pro-fibre/critical care several times a day. It's still terrified but after 3 days it does seem a less jumpy and is now chewing/swallowing by itself. I'm guessing it's just getting used to me a bit. We're not sure if the injury will lead to a permanant disability or not. If so, and it can't be released, will it ever settle into being in captivity? I think it's about 4-6 weeks but I find it hard to tell, it just fits into my cupped hands. Is it fair to keep imposing this stress on it or should we call it a day? I think I've got carried away with the shock of it surviving the injury and the stress! I assumed it would be dead by now! Will try and get pics if I can figure out how to upload from my new camera. Many thanks - Lindsay.

I presume you've tried leaving it with grass/dandelions overnight?

How wild buns react seems to vary a lot so you may have to leave judging that until after it's made a recovery. If it does get physically fit it would ideally need to go to a wildlife sanctuary to mix with other young babies - that would help it's instincts and they would soft release it (gradual release).

If it stays in captivity but is semi wild them finding somewhere with a large secure enclosure would be most suitable.

If it stays in captivity but lives as a pet it would need at lot of interacting to make it a people bunny.

Trouble is this is the age that could be making a lot of difference development/behaviour wise. If it's injury is going to take weeks to heal you may need to err on the captive side as the nursing care will mean a lot of interaction.

Tam

yes, by keeping him you run the risk that he can never fend for himself in the wild because he will be so impregnated by humans, not only for food but also dealing with predators. So it depends on how long you will nurse him really...I would personally get him to a wildlife sanctuary for care and release among wild populations.. Because he will need his own kind when he becomes sexually mature...

Erm, impregnated by humans? I think it's a boy and anyway, I don't love him that much!

Thanks for the advice Tamsin, I remember how very kind and helpful you were last time. He seems a bit better today. More settled, less jumpy and taking 2mls a feed happily. He's also started nibbling grass so hopefully I can stop the feeds soon. More worried about his hydration. Unfortunately, he still needs intensive nursing. Very worried that this is the worst age possible. I'm pleased he's less scared/stressed but also worried about it! The whole area is saturated by foxes (and myxi) so any lack of fear will quickly spell his doom!

"by keeping him you run the risk that he can never fend for himself in the wild because he will be so impregnated by humans,"

Think you mean imprinted on. :lol:

Hope he survives, bless.

thank you for correcting me :lol:

You seem to have a lot of foxes in the UK, are they protected ? because here hunters kill them with a quota, and we are happy when we can spot one in the land...

Last edited:
I'm glad he's started on the grass :) He should get part of his water needs from that. With pet rabbits you can sometimes up their water intake by adding a splash of unsweetened apple juice to the water. You can freeze it in icecube trays for storage. Might be worth a try if its a worry.

Sorry Martine, didn't mean to laugh at you!

You do win the prize for funniest slip of the tongue I've ever heard!

Priceless.

No don't worry Vetnurselinz :lol: it's just my English which has slipped a little bit as in French we say "impregne" !!!! then I looked up in Google Dictionary and saw how confusing my sentence must have been !!!:lol::lol: we learn everyday... :D

Back