• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need help with baby kits

jakey

New Kit
my rabbit had babies 4 days ago everything was going well but seems that they are dying 1 by 1 lost 3 of them got 3 left dont know why tho this is were i need help what should i do i check on them everyday tomake sure they look ok dont touch thm tho have made sure the mother has three times as much food and always got fres water any suggestions on saving the others thanks

1 was pushed right in the oposite corner 1 was in the nest it was all wet the kits seem to have full bellys dont know how to check if the mother has milk

if there is something wrong with the kits mum will push them out of the nest..unfortunatly its survival of the fittest .if she has sensed a weakness/illness in the kitts that have died she will not nurse them(very sad i know)but its just natures way..
how old are the kits now?

thanks madhouse they are 4 days old one of them looked very healthy and was growin quite a bit fur they were ok yesterday i just wunder what has happend do you think the ithers will be ok? Also was in my local pethop and he said dont evan check on the babies just leave them well alone just make sure mum has plent of food and water but people on here have told me to keep checkin makin sure they are ok!

i would check once a day..(prefrebly the same person every day)then mum is getting used to the same smell..as long as she is kept quiet and well fed and has plenty of hay and water.
she should be going into them to feed once a day (prob at night).if they look like they are being fed(have round bellys) then im presuming she is taking care of them and there was something wrong with the others..
good luck and keep us updated .

the petshop also said not to clean out the hutch is this true or should i still be cleaning it out?

i would wait until they are 7 days old at least..and when you clean them out save as much as the nesting area(that is clean) as possible..

From what I've heard, the pet shop is mostly right. You want to disturb the mother and nest as little as possible, but it's important to remove any dead kits and to check to make sure the babies have full tummies and are warm.

You can continue to clean out the hutch, but don't disturb the nest much. And make sure you always run your hands through some litter before touching anything to make sure you keep your smell away from the babies. Just be very gentle in all you do.

Good luck with the rest of your kits. :)

Back