• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA.... New hutch/run sizes

mich8

Alpha Buck
I went to my local RSPCA today in my search for a female rabbit.
They have changed their minimum hutch/run reccomendations from the 6ft hutch with 6ft x 4ft run.
I was told today that they will not rehome to anyone unless they have....

4ft double hutch (min)
with 8ft x 8ft permanent attached run.
Is that all branches of the RSPCA or just mine ??????

I dont know. Try finding a run that size would also be hard. Ok if you can make it yourself i suppose.

Well i had to return a call to a woman who wanted a pair but had a hutch that was 4ft x 2ft wide and not quite 2ft tall, double decker. Was planning on explaining it was not big enough but apparently she had just got two from the local RSPCA (Harlow) :?

my rspca doesnt home check for rabbits doesnt have time:roll: all i had to do was fill in a form and took my bun home there and then!

I have already homed two of their rabbits and passed my homecheck for them.
Someone new is in charge of the small animals down their now.
I even took loads of photos of all my rabbits and their enclosures with me so that they could see how they are all kept.

on the form it asks you your size of hutch that you have or planning to get, and if you work full time and what provisions you make for when your hols but they dont check or even ask questions, all i got asked was what sex rabbit i already had.the boys are neutered but the girls arent, dont get me wrong there are well looked after plenty of hay etc but anybody could lie on the form and just get a bun:(

I have to be honest and say that I was getting really stressed out whilst there. Like I say I have already passed my homecheck when I adopted two from there before. Took photos of all hutches/runs/enclosures etc.
She could see all the toys/hay etc and still questioned me like I was 12 years old.

I have no problem with homechecks etc
I was just surprised at the new requirements. I suppose i will have to rethink things now as I do not have room for a permanent 8ft x 8ft run. I can easily have 6ft hutch/run.
I just want a friend for my new little Dutch !!!!!! How can it be this difficult ???

It seems a big requirement to have that size run...and would be totally un-feaseable to most people..I think its important to assess each situation individually and be polite about it....sorry but I have come across very pushy rescues and also very condisending ones also...those are the minority I would add x
We have nearly finished building our 6ftx5ft run to attach to our 5x2x2 hutch for oscar - I would hope this would be big enough for a rescue to allow us to adopt another bun when oscar is neutered - if not then he will have to be a lonely rabbit :(

I live pretty close to you so we have probably come across some of the same places. Thats why some poor buns havent had a home for over 16 months.

We know some one who owns a pet shop but out of the love for animals. they wont sell to amyone they dont think would provide a good home and if it dont work out they are happy to have the bun back. She did a fund raising day off her own back for the local rescue place. When she explained she had a pet shop they could barely say thanks to her when accepting the money.

Your hutch and run dimensions are same as ours. We were turned away.

Went to our local RSPCA instead. Checked them over and picked 1. Drove home & collected Pebs to take her for an initial meeting to see how they got on. Then showed them pics of our hutch set up, returned the next day to collect Smudge and that was that. Was a little disappointing in a way no home visit was made.

An 8'x8' run is great for bunnies but I think putting this as a minimum requirement is probably going to rule out a lot of potentially good homes. It is difficult for resuces - on the one hand if they ask for accommodation that people can't manage, then those people will probably just go elsewhere for their rabbits. Fair enough, rescues want excellent homes for their rabbits but sometimes it needs to be balanced as in a loving home with ok size accommodation may well be better than never rehoming any buns and hence being able to help fewer overall. I certainly don't envy any rescuers deciding who to rehome to.

Back