• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with an abscess again-Update

foofoo

Alpha Buck
Archie had his abscess removed nearly a month ago but I can feel it swelling up, the hole has healed up and it not sure what to do as my vet is on holiday till the 18th.

I have an appointment for him on monday but the vet is the one I saw before who said that the abscess shouldn't be removed in the first place and I don't have much faith in him with the rabbits.

Should I ask this vet to try and drain the abscess until I see the vet that's been dealing with him or wait till she comes back?

Last edited:
Archie had his abscess removed nearly a month ago but I can feel it swelling up, the hole has healed up and it not sure what to do as my vet is on holiday till the 18th.

I have an appointment for him on monday but the vet is the one I saw before who said that the abscess shouldn't be removed in the first place and I don't have much faith in him with the rabbits.

Should I ask this vet to try and drain the abscess until I see the vet that's been dealing with him or wait till she comes back?

Oh poop :cry:

Are both Vets at the same Practice?
Archie really needs to be seen on Monday.

Oh poop :cry:

Are both Vets at the same Practice?
Archie really needs to be seen on Monday.

Yep its the same practice. Ok I'll take him but If he gives me the same rubbish advice as last time I don't know what I'll do :(
Archies actually been improving a lot too.

Yep its the same practice. Ok I'll take him but If he gives me the same rubbish advice as last time I don't know what I'll do :(
Archies actually been improving a lot too.

Well explain to the Vet that you were not happy with his/her origional advice and that Archie had been improving after surgery given by the other Vet.
Say that you intend to consult that Vet again as soon as he/she returns from holiday but in the meantime you are concerned that Archie's condition has taken a backward step.
All the clinical details from the Vet you are happy with will be on Archie's records and so you can politely and tactfully request that the Vet you see on Monday adheres to that treatment plan.

You dont have to be rude or stroppy but in some cases you do need to be assertive.

Good luck :)

That's us just back from the vets, the vet ordered the penicillin and I need to go back in 2 days so they can show me how to inject him.
Still continuing with the baytril and metacam, and archie seems quite happy at the moment.

The plan is to get him on to the penicillin then remove the abscess again, I just hope that I'm doing the right thing for him and that he comes round from the operation as well as last time.

I really don't want to have to put him through an operation every month or so what with him having dentals under GA too but I love him so I'm not giving up yet. I get the impression both vets don't hold out much hope for him which upsets me as he's just starting to get back to normal this last week.

That's us just back from the vets, the vet ordered the penicillin and I need to go back in 2 days so they can show me how to inject him.
Still continuing with the baytril and metacam, and archie seems quite happy at the moment.

The plan is to get him on to the penicillin then remove the abscess again, I just hope that I'm doing the right thing for him and that he comes round from the operation as well as last time.

I really don't want to have to put him through an operation every month or so what with him having dentals under GA too but I love him so I'm not giving up yet. I get the impression both vets don't hold out much hope for him which upsets me as he's just starting to get back to normal this last week.

When he had the abscess removed last time did he have radiographs taken and was a sample sent off for culture and sensitivity testing ?

When he had the abscess removed last time did he have radiographs taken and was a sample sent off for culture and sensitivity testing ?

I think he had an x-ray taken but they definitely didn't send off a sample to be tested. I'll make sure they do this when the abscess is being removed, don't know why they didn't recommend it to be done the first time :?

Hiya,
I'm in the same position as you at the moment with a second abscess in 5 weeks. When I asked my vet about Antibiotics and taking a culture, they told me Baytril covers most bacteria, so they were happy to go with using that. This time, I'm insisting they take a swab so we can get the right antibiotic and knock this on the head.

Has your vet tried the impregnated beads? Sorry, I don't know the history of your bunny.

Hiya,
I'm in the same position as you at the moment with a second abscess in 5 weeks. When I asked my vet about Antibiotics and taking a culture, they told me Baytril covers most bacteria, so they were happy to go with using that. This time, I'm insisting they take a swab so we can get the right antibiotic and knock this on the head.

Has your vet tried the impregnated beads? Sorry, I don't know the history of your bunny.

:wave: Two vets at the practice I use told me the same thing about baytril being the best antibiotic to use :roll: We haven't tried the impregnated beads yet, would you recommend trying the beads?

Poor Archie, I hope the penicillin works for him :)

:wave: Two vets at the practice I use told me the same thing about baytril being the best antibiotic to use :roll: We haven't tried the impregnated beads yet, would you recommend trying the beads?

My Vet does not like using the beads if the abscess drains into the mouth. The abx the beads usually contain are very high risk for causing gut dysbiosis.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...38zbBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7

I am not sure how useful sending a swab off for MC+S would be if Archie is already on Baytril :?

Hopefull the Penicillin injections will get the infection under control.

My Vet does not like using the beads if the abscess drains into the mouth. The abx the beads usually contain are very high risk for causing gut dysbiosis.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...38zbBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7

I am not sure how useful sending a swab off for MC+S would be if Archie is already on Baytril :?

Hopefull the Penicillin injections will get the infection under control.

Thanks for that link, it was helpful. I'll ask my vet to take an skull x-ray so we can see what's going on. I really hope the penicillin helps :cry:

I work at a vets that takes rabbit refferals. Penicillin is very effective for abcesses, but can also have fatal side effects in rabbits. We give other meds at the same time to minimise effects. Baytril is a very old fashioned antibiotic to use in rabbits, we hardly ever use it now and use Marbocyl routinely instead. It is very hard to permanantly get rid of abcesses in rabbits (esp. tooth/jaw ones). Skull xrays are essential to see how the jaw bone is doing. Rabbit jaws are thin and fragile and disintergrate easily when infected. I really hope your bun does well, I had one that kept going for 2 years although I did flush it daily the whole time! Best of luck x

Back