• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone help me tweak Lucys diet?

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.
I dont want Lucy to put anymore weight on, she is quite a lazy bunny and loves her food so can I ask anyone to review her diet and see where I can be doing anything better?

Lucy and Lola have unlimited Timothy Hay. I never buy the snacks for them that pet shops sell.

9.00am. Egg cupful of SS Adult Pellets. With this she gets fresh cut grass, dandelions and any other goodies I find like blackberry leaves or rose twigs or spring greens and herbs like mint and basil.

5.00pm - As above.

9.00pm - a few greens - about 5 SS pellets and half a mini Shredded Wheat - just to make sure they are eating before they get tucked up for bed.

She is out of the cage most of the day and I have boxes and toys for them in the front room or they go in the garden or cupboard to play.

She is incredibly greedy. I have Panacured her and she is speyed. She is about 8/10 months old.

Any suggestions to help me not have a unhealthy fat bun would be most appreciated.

Thank you bunny peeeps!

Wow what a lucky bun she is. I don't spread the food i give mine out like that but i think i will start too.
I can't say i'm very experienced in diet issues so can't help that much just wanted to say that she sounds lucky. :)

I know its being cruel to be kind but perhaps split the egg cup full of pellets into two sessions rather than giving her more in the evening and dont give the shreded wheat at all.

I know its being cruel to be kind but perhaps split the egg cup full of pellets into two sessions rather than giving her more in the evening and dont give the shreded wheat at all.

I agree. 1 eggcupful of pellets is plenty for a bun Lucy's size and it's best not to give human cereal products at all. Sorry, I know it's hard as my lops are fatties too, but I'm finally starting to see some results. You could try switching to SS mature which is lower calorie and higher fibre. Save a pellet or 2 for the evening treat from the eggcupful so you don't feel you're depriving them :)

Thank you - I knowe the Shredded Wheat is a no no, I just like to see them nom nom nomming before I tuck them up:oops:

I am currently chasing Lucy around the garden, neighbours think I am bonkers!!!

I think I probably over feed mine but Strawberry is very active and must burn it all off as he is quite slim looking.

They have a small handfull of pellets in a morning, veggies about 6pm, another small handfull of pellets about 11pm. Plus treats like fenugreek and carrot crunchies every now and again to check they are still eating. I would know something was wrong straight away if they turned their noses up at those as they both love them!

I know what you mean about checking they are eating..I am forever offering them things to see if they eat. I have noticed they eat more hay when the litter tray is fresh-so I am changing that very often-prob too much :oops:

You could try offering them dried Plantain instead of the shredded wheat. My bunnies love it and scoff it straight away.

Is grass/greens fattening? I have given half the amount of pellets this morning - but it looked well stingy - so I topped it up with grass/dandelions.

All they will have not until 5pm is hay and they are up now trashing a pile of cardboard boxes in the cupboard.

I just cant get my head around that hay is the best thing for them - I know it is - but it just DOESNT LOOK ENOUGH! :shock: I have turned into a FEEDER!:lol:

Since Ollie and Lily were bonded they eat an ENORMOUS amount of hay. I give them 2 egg cups of pellets every day, veggies about 4 times a week and the rest of the time they eat hay and grass. They are both thriving :love:

Yes, I agree : just reduce quantities and suppress the wheat... and increase the hay ! if they are hungry they can eat Hay !!!:love:

Grass and dandilions are good. If you want to treat them what about the hay cubes or different types of hay. Some greens are less fattening than others. Carrots are very high in calories.

Back