• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blisters in ears

Cyberdog

Warren Scout
Hi,:wave:

I have a rabbit that was ok this morning when I cleaned out the hutch. However this evening I have noticed what is like a clear blister (one at the top of each ear inside) . One is only small but the other is slightly larger and hard. Can anyone shed any light as to what it could be?

Am I going mad or have you not had this problem a few days ago :?
Then you said you used Baby Oil on the ears, the blisters burst and all was OK :?

You are correct, I have posted the wrong info for today. I should have posted as per below. Sorry.:oops:

Took her to the vets this morning, as she has more blisters in her ear. I was definitely not expecting what the vet said. He said she had early signs of myxomatosis. I have just had to take the other rabbit to the vets for an inoculation. Both of them were inoculated last June, and I thought it was a yearly injection but apparently it is a six month one.
The strange thing is she does not have the classic symptoms of myxomatosis (puffy and weepy eye lids). I hope he is wrong. This really took me by surprise.

I hope he is wrong:(:(

Hiya, is he vaccinated against myxi?

She had one last June. I thought it lasted for 12 months, but apparently it only lasts for 6 months. I asked the vet could the other rabbit catch myxomatosis fro her, and he said NO. However according to the internet another rabbit can catch myxomatosis fro an infected rabbit.:?:?

Oh dear :cry:

I must admit that Myxi was my first thought when I saw your post the other day.
Is the Bun now on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories ?

Oh dear :cry:

I must admit that Myxi was my first thought when I saw your post the other day.
Is the Bun now on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories ?

That’s what I can`t understand. The vet said he could not give a Myxi injection because it looks like she has it. . He also said that nothing could be done and that all we can do is wait to see what happens in the next 7 to 10 days.:?:?

That’s what I can`t understand. The vet said he could not give a Myxi injection because it looks like she has it. . He also said that nothing could be done and that all we can do is wait to see what happens in the next 7 to 10 days.:?:?

Personally I'd be insisting on abx and anti-inflams

OK she is technically not vaccinated but she might still be carrying some immunity from her vac last June. Vaccinated Buns do stand a chance of surviving Myxi but aggressive treatment is needed from the outset. Fatalities are usually the result of a secondary bacterial pneumonia, hence why I'd want my Bun on abx.

I dont like to say things about other peoples vets but it seems to me like they are giving up on your bun before giving her a chance , as Jane has said they need the meds to have a chance ;).

They cant give your bun a myxi jag because its a live vaccine so they would be injecting more of the myxi ( someone correct me if i am wrong ;) )

You are correct, I have posted the wrong info for today. I should have posted as per below. Sorry.:oops:

Took her to the vets this morning, as she has more blisters in her ear. I was definitely not expecting what the vet said. He said she had early signs of myxomatosis. I have just had to take the other rabbit to the vets for an inoculation. Both of them were inoculated last June, and I thought it was a yearly injection but apparently it is a six month one.
The strange thing is she does not have the classic symptoms of myxomatosis (puffy and weepy eye lids). I hope he is wrong. This really took me by surprise.

I hope he is wrong:(:(

Hi,:wave::wave:

Just to let you know about the progress of the rabbit (sooty)with possible Myxomatosis. Well we got to the 14th May and she was no worse, she still had the blisters in her ears but no new ones had appeared.
The vet looked her over and said he was prepared to give her the Myxo vaccine, and that it now looks as if it is a reaction to an insect bite.
It is now 28th May and she is well and back to normal. She still has some hard crusty bits in her ears but I am putting sudocrem on them each night and they are getting better. I think I can call that a close call.:p:p:p:p

Thanks;)

hi ive been experiencing similar my bunny which i got from a breeder last week she was vaccinated against myxi on 4th august is it possible for her to have a reaction all these weeks later ??:?
or could it be a reaction to bedding she has swollen eyelids, sore looking now and blisters in her ears will get her to the vet monday but just wondered if it could be from myxi jab all these weeks later

hi ive been experiencing similar my bunny which i got from a breeder last week she was vaccinated against myxi on 4th august is it possible for her to have a reaction all these weeks later ??:?
or could it be a reaction to bedding she has swollen eyelids, sore looking now and blisters in her ears will get her to the vet monday but just wondered if it could be from myxi jab all these weeks later

Have you got a vaccine card to prove she was vaccinated?

Your bunny needs to see a vet TODAY.

Rabbits go downhill very fast, and she must be in a lot of pain.

Vaccinated Rabbits can still contract Myxomatosis but the survival rate is good as long as prompt Veterinary treatment is given.
The symptoms you describe sound very much like Myxomatosis so I would get her to a Vet today.

Back