• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where to buy hay?

beki

Mama Doe
I have only had ruby about a week and a half so haven't really investigated where to get hay properly. I got some pets at home hay and she is eating it out of a hay rack but not in great quantities, but it is so expensive! also i put some in her bed section of her hutch but she doesn't seem to be using it as it is not flattened down or burrowed in (she has obviously climbed over it though as there are poos mixed in but it remains mainly undisturbed over the last week), she is sleeping in a shoebox with a hole in i made her!

Anyway, i also notice that the pets at home hay is short pieces, is all hay like this now? easier for eating i suppoose but i don't think it is that great for bedding as it doesn't fluff up just goes a bit flat. when i had a rabbit years back as a child his hay was lovely and fluffy and he used to burrow in it and everything! he seemed to love his hay.

Where I live Petsmart has the freshest sweetest Timothy Hay.
I've tried other places and Ella just isn't interested in Timothy Hay from anywhere else, even when it's the same brand.

Also for some reason there isn't dust from Petsmart in the hay, where as I am finding the same hay else where to be very dusty...:roll:

I have only had ruby about a week and a half so haven't really investigated where to get hay properly. I got some pets at home hay and she is eating it out of a hay rack but not in great quantities, but it is so expensive! also i put some in her bed section of her hutch but she doesn't seem to be using it as it is not flattened down or burrowed in (she has obviously climbed over it though as there are poos mixed in but it remains mainly undisturbed over the last week), she is sleeping in a shoebox with a hole in i made her!

Anyway, i also notice that the pets at home hay is short pieces, is all hay like this now? easier for eating i suppoose but i don't think it is that great for bedding as it doesn't fluff up just goes a bit flat. when i had a rabbit years back as a child his hay was lovely and fluffy and he used to burrow in it and everything! he seemed to love his hay.

You haven't said where you live. Lot's of people use farms to get bales which are really cheap so if you say where you r nearest town is maybe someone local can let you know where they get theirs. I wouldn't use p@h as theirs never looks nice and it's really expensive. I tend to use my local greengrocer or a independent pet shop as they do nice fresh green hay.

Mine get shop bought stuff (they refuse to eat cheap stuff:roll:) but farm hay is really good and i buy my fussy ****** hay from the hay experts(and end up spending a small fortune :lol:)

Try local farms or buy online:wave:

If i remember rightly your in nottingham i get mine from martins farm near arnold/calverton it's about £4 a bale and it's lovely hay

Hi, yes I am in Nottingham and i think a farm would be a good idea.

Sazzy, where abouts is Martins? im in Carlton so not to far from Arnold ,and might have a look there. I would prefer to get farm bought hay if it is any good :)

Its hay by the bale for us at £3.95 a bale from a nearby horse feed store. I always say its for the bunnies and get my nose in there to make sure its nice and sweet smelling and not dusty.

Hi, yes I am in Nottingham and i think a farm would be a good idea.

Sazzy, where abouts is Martins? im in Carlton so not to far from Arnold ,and might have a look there. I would prefer to get farm bought hay if it is any good :)

your not far from me i'm in netherfield :D

here's the address f.martins dorket head farm arnold notts ng5 8pu

A few notts people on here use the farm also

I was able to go monday to Martins and get the hay, it really is good. i put loads in her hutch and she has scoffed the lot! she didn't seem at all interested in that pets at home hay but loves this. Thanks so much for the tip on where to go, i will definately go there again!

Anyone know of anywhere near Doncaster? I'm spending a small fortune every week,and they seem to love any hay so if anyone knows a god deal any place let me know please!

My Dad has just brought the buns some hay from the local petshop. All long pieces they have literally dragged the bag out of my hands and love it!!!
Best thing is it cost £1 - for the same size bag as i have been paying £4 for :oops:
Bargain!!!

Hay

Hi,

We have recently taken on an abandoned rabbit renamed bugsy...

On the subject of hay we are in cardiff centre and would like to know if any farms are selling at the price you say.

In 3 weeks we have spent over 20 pounds on just hay/straw.

Would be gratefull on any suggestions on cheap farm hay.

Thanks

Back