• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what would make my bun unhappy? u/d on this post (at the end)...

happypreso

Alpha Buck
Holly is coming up to 5 months old and has been well handled throughout her life (she is one of my blind bun's so had had many a trip down the vets etc).

Anyway, she lived with Angel (her male brother) up until 2/3 weeks ago when I seperate them to avoid a pregnancy. Even though they have been apart they have been able to see/smell each other through bars.

Yesterday, I rearrange the runs within the garden (it is my sons birthday on Monday and he is having some friends over so was trying to get the best space of the garden) and yesterday whilst moving Holly she was grunting at me and running away (she also seemed to be 'wagging' her tail - never really seen anything quite like it before!).

This evening, when going to feed her, she has gone for me! Front paws were def trying to attack me and again she was grunting and trying to bite me. I think she is really annoyed and I dont really know why :(.

Could it be her age? or where I have moved the run (at the mo, she can't see Angel) or what else might be up? There are no signs of pain ... and she is okay and 'normal' in herself (ie pooing, weeing, eating etc). Or could it be, where she has been with a male (alongside not actually in the cage) that her hormones are kicking in and maybe thinks she is pregnant and therefore being protective?

I am planning on getting her spayed in another month or so (so when she is around 6 months old) but is there anything I can do to make her happy in the meantime? (I am also planning on getting the male netured and then putting this pair back together before trying to bond them into a foursome).

Last edited:
if shes 5 months and not long been seperated from the mr, could there be a chance she may be pregnant? i could very well be barking up the wrong tree as im a novice but if shes being a bit of a madam i guess it could be down to hormones?

hopefuly someone a bit less hopeless than me can help you abit more hun! :oops: :lol:

I would kind of agree with the above. If you left seperating them until she was 5 months then there is a very strong likelihood she is pregnant. Has Angel been neutured yet?

I'd say that most of that stuff sounds territorial due to hormones. Any reason you are waiting till 6 months? I had my boy neutered at 16 weeks, and he pulled through great. He's a small breed too (a holland lop), so I was definitely concerned he wasn't big enough to handle the surgery, but he was just fine.

Not sure how to lessen the behavior. Hopefully someone can come along and give better advice. :)

Edit: I didn't notice the time you separated them. I would say there's definitely a chance that she could be pregnant. I'd watch for nest building, as that's a sign she'll give birth really soon. Generally, I think rabbits are sexually mature around 4 months or so, depending on the breed.

Last edited:
I think if I was in this situation I may try and consult a vet? Its probably best to get her checked out? If it is just hormones and no pregnancy I'd look into getting her spayed soon as it really does calm them down no end :)

Thanks everyone, she has been as nice as pie today :roll::)

I hope she isn't pregnant. I didn't have a suitable hutch/run at the time hence me leaving it a little later before seperating, also the vet (the old one) said it is highly unlikely that she would get pregnant at 5 months. Fingers crossed that she isn't and just being a 'teenager'.

I am planning on getting both Holly & Angel neutered - Angel (male) hasn't been done yet as when I took him for his jabs a few weeks ago, they said they couldn't find his bits (he was scared and retracting them as he is def a boy!) but they said it was best to wait and Holly (female) I was told to get her done about 6 months old - so I have pencilled them both in to be done mid June .....

Really worried now, so just confirming dates (not that it will tell if she is pregnant or not) but I always write things down in my diary as I have a brain like a sieve! :oops:

Holly (and Angel) were both 16wks old on the 16th April and they were seperated the day before -15th April - and have only had contact with each other through bars since then (def no chance of them escaping into each others run etc), which is 3 wks ago.

I suppose (apart from a poss vet appointment but I dont think they have the equipment to scan at my vets - can they tell by feeling?) then I just have to wait a week. Would it be too late for an emergency spay if she was pregnant?

Oh dear, sending 'no babies' vibes.

I think they need to do a scan to tell if she's pregnant - but hopefully someone who knows will be along to advise you soon.

So if she were pregnant she would be at least 25 days now, I think that may be too late. I think a decent vet should be able to feel if she is pregnant. Why don't you call you vet and ask them.

Sending no baby vibes too!

I would have thought if she were pregnant, as she'd be over 3 weeks gone then a vet would be able to tell by having a feel.
Hopefully she's just being a moody teenager which will improve once she's speyed but I do think it is possible that she's preggars. :?

I would have thought if she were pregnant, as she'd be over 3 weeks gone then a vet would be able to tell by having a feel.
Hopefully she's just being a moody teenager which will improve once she's speyed but I do think it is possible that she's preggars. :?

I agree and if you are using the vet I suggested before they are quite good at telling if the bun is pregnant just by feeling once they are a few weeks gone. I've seen them in action :D

I hope you are lucky and it's just a false pregnancy.
If she is pregnant a vet might agree to spay but the operation would be bigger and more risky for her.
It would be a good idea to book her them both in for neutering soon anyway, to avoid any 'accidents' and reduce the grumpiness! Then you will be able to bond them together again, and they'll be much happier :)

When millie was pregnant the second time (accidental and straight after the first litter) I would gently rub her tummy everynight which she loved and would lick me, a week before she was due i could feel the babies move and kick :love: I didnt press down at all incase i hurt the babies but her tummy was slightly swollen and i felt little round balls the would kick.

If she is being aggressive i would take her to the vet and they will be able to feel! I was lucky to have a very trusting female and i was able to hold her kits the first day and she would lick them on my hand :love:

Sending No baby vibes x

With her being blind, and having her environment changed by moving her, is it possible she's feeling insecure and that might be making her feel grumpy? I'm guessing, as a blind bunny, she's used to knowing where everything is and if she's been moved, there might be new smells, corners where there weren't any, etc. which might be making her uneasy?

sorry, I haven't replied to people it has been a very busy weekend.

Holly is still being as nice as pie and tomorrow is 4 wks since she was seperated from her other half. I could be wrong (I'll know in a few days) but I dont think she is pregnant, I think the problem was me moving her around and she was unsettled by it all.

I will confess to not taking her to a vets to get check over to confirm if she is or isn't - I gathered that will her being so close (if she is) that the vet might not do a spay/or the risk involved ... I know there is risks involved in having babies too but I just thought we will see what happens. Like I say, I am fairly certain that she isn't pregnant - there has been no fur pulling, gathering hay and she doesn't look any bigger (and she is quite little) so I think she was just having a one off, moody day and then me moving her hutch/run didn't help matters.

I agree and if you are using the vet I suggested before they are quite good at telling if the bun is pregnant just by feeling once they are a few weeks gone. I've seen them in action :D

Hi, I haven't got around to contacting that vets yet! On a different note, I dont know if you read my post when Holly escaped and Bugsy was out and he was chasing her etc ... anyway, I was hoping that your very kind offer of helping me to bond them was still being offered as I dont think I can do it on my own (after that experience!!!)
If so, Holly & Angel are being booked in to be 'sorted out' around the 8th June so assuming all goes well and they have a quick recovering, I was looking to bond them the first week of July ......

I think there is no logic to guess at the behaviour change until the spay surgery is done. In the 5 to 7 mth. age period, is a good time to spay the bun

Back