• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should i insure my rabbits.

amanda 2807

Warren Scout
Hi

everyone new here not got my bunnies yet hopefully next week but have been looking over the forum at some of the illnesses and wondered if this is worth thinking about if so which one to go for any surgestions..

How many bunnies will you be getting? :) I think insurance is a great idea if you will only be having 1 or 2 bunnies. It could get a bit expensive if like me, you have 4 bunnies :lol: We use our savings for emergencies for all our animals, and routine things like vaccinations come from our weekly money :)

Petplan do bunny insurance, when i looked into it for my Lottie, it was going to work out at about £9 a month :) xXx

When I wanted insurance for all my rabbits I was quoted a ridiculous amount (Between £70 and £90 a month for 8 of them).
So I just put a little bit away each month to cover vet bills.

if you decide to take out insurance you need to check the smallprint because most policies wont civer thigs like dental problems

i just put away savings each month which can be used to cover any vet bills

If you would struggle to pay huge vet bills but can afford the insurance then get it. It covers you for something like £3000 of vet bills every year and you can keep claiming next year too. Most treatments will probably be under the insurance excess which is about £50 so it won't cover you for the little things. It's really only incase your bunny gets really ill and needs lots of complicated treatment. In the worst case scenario you would be better off with insurance.

You should always read the small print however as this will tell you what they will and will not pay. They will never cover any illness that your pet already had when the cover started or anything relating to any illness they previously had.

If you have a healthy bun and are worried about vet bills then yes get insurance :)

:wave:Thanks for all your comments i think i'm going to do what most of you have surgested put a bit away a week ..

I have Daisy insured for just less than £9 a month and I'm very glad that I do. She had an abscess operation two months ago that cost me £300 - petplan will be refunding £250 of it! Plus, she's had several illnesses/problems which have cost just over the £50 excess.

I'll definitely be insuring her husbun Jester when he arrives too.

I have savings for emergencies, but I like knowing that the insurance is there to help, especially if one of them develops an ongoing, expensive problem. I hope it will mean that I won't ever be in the position of having to chose between treatments or tests on the basis of cost...

So, my advice would be to get insurance if you do have only one or two bunnies, because the monthly cost pales into insignificance in comparison to operation / ongoing treatment costs. And you can use your savings for the less than £50 a time vet bills, vaccs, neutering etc.

I really regret not insuring my cats when they were young - now two of them have recurring health problems which wouldn't be covered by insurance if I took it out now.

If I added up how much my creatures have cost me in total in vet bills over the years I'd probably have a heart attack :lol:

I have 5 bunnies, all insured. I pay £46 a month. Personally, if i put £46 a month away for them, it might not cover any illnesses enough so id rather pay and know i have that security blanket x

Back