• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I dont know if I bonded my rabbit ok

Maria786

Warren Scout
I thought I bonded my two rabbits, but they dont seem to spend a lot of time together. My original rabbit is a male and I got a female from RSPCA for him. He sits outside the hutch, and she prefers inside. They do come down to play together but why is he sitting outside?

How long have they been bonded?

Alfie and Bubbles were pretty much like that for a good few months after bonding & even now they like to spend a while apart but they snuggle up together a lot more now than they used to. My two spend most of their time in the run - maybe your female is still a bit shy and prefers the security of being inside the hutch?

My bonded 2 spend a lot of time apart during the day-Loppy stops in the shed whilst Daisy likes being outside,sunbathing etc. At night though they snuggle up together in the hutch.I think its a common misconception that we expect bonded bunnies to always be by each others side.

Just looked out of my window and my 3 are in separate areas of the garden muching away happily. When I went to let them out earlier they were in a cute bunny heap in the shed. I think yours are just getting a bit of space from each other. I'm sure in the winter they will be a little closer as they will need to keep each other warm and given a little time they will become closer.

Mine have been bonded for about 3 weeks now, so yeah it's pretty early days. Just went back to the RSPCA to have the female vaccinated against VHD. The vet said I need to spend more time with her as she is new. She is scared of human contact, and it's very difficult to stroke her and hold her. She runs away, scared. Should I bring her inside in the evening to spend time with us in Peter's old hutch? I can't bring the outside hutch and run inside. Will Peter be ok outside on his own, so that I can spend some time getting florence used to us? Vet said it's very important that we get her in the house and involve her in our daily life. I cant bring them both in as the inside hutch is big enough for one. Although, it might not matter for a few hours each evening? I thought we could bring them both in and they can have a treat and watch TV with us. Pete just sits outside and look so miserable. He used to be with us all the time since he was a baby. Now he lives outside with wifey florence.

What shall I do?

Is there somewhere in the garden where you can spend time with them? If Florence is quite nervous already, it might unsettle her to bring her indoors. The best thing is to sit quietly near her (with some tasty food) so that she can come to you if/when she chooses - either in the run if it's big enough or just outside it. My two are in a hutch/run combo so I generally sit on the slabs in front of it and let them come up to the hutch if they want to see me/get food from me.

If you do decide to bring her indoors, I would definitely bring Peter in too - it will probably give her more confidence if she sees that Peter isn't afraid. :)

Back