• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syphills or E.C??

lostunicorn

Alpha Buck
Took Daisy in for her Myxi today as she's finally eating properly and back to herself. However noticed that her eyes are a tiny bit weepy so thought I'd mention it to the vet.

Picked Peach up for a groom last night and noticed she had a white spot on her "lady parts", after some panic wondering if she somehow had got fly stike I wiped her down there to find it was liquid like you would get in blisters. Phoned vet first thing and said I was bringing both bunnies in.

Vet said Daisy's eye are a bit worrying ecspecially as chin was a bit wet today:cry:...she's on eye drops for 10 days three times a day.

Peach has lost more weight:cry: and when the vet looked at her said it could be an abseces on her genitals...but that it didn't look like syphills or E.C but that neither could be ruled out. Peach is now on baytril for 2 weeks.

Both rabbits are starting a course of panacur tomorrow, vet orginally said for 9 days but due to posts I have read on here I said that I had heard treatment was pointless unless for 28 days. She has given me enough for 2 weeks for each rabbit which will take me to the next appointment. I will then demand the rest of the course.

Have I done the right thing? The vet said it didn't look like syphills but like me seemed worried by Peach's weird genital sore and Daisy eyes...I'm sure they are connected.

Is there anything else I should ask about at the next appointment or anything I need to look out for?

I'm really worried I'm going to end out lossing them both:(:(

Vets was £125...I would never refuse my bunnies treatment because I knew they were expensive when I bought them but this is definately worrying me now especially if syphills or E.C is diagnosed! Any help/advice very appriciated I have no experience with either.

Well the symptoms you descibe for Daisy sound Dental related to me. Elongated tooth roots can cause runny eyes as the tooth roots block the nasolacrimal duct. Excess salivation causing a wet chin also points to Dental problems.

Without seeing Peach's sore area I cant really comment on what it might be.
If it were to be syphilis then a course of Penicillin Injections should resolve the symptoms.

Apart from weightloss none of the symptoms you describe make me think 'EC'
Weightloss can occur for numerous reasons, EC being just one possibility.

Jacks-Jane

Thanks for your reply...I forgot to mention that Daisy has had her teeth filled 2 weeks ago and an xray. Vet checked teeth yestrday and said they were fine. Could it be just an eye infection?

Jacks-Jane

Thanks for your reply...I forgot to mention that Daisy has had her teeth filled 2 weeks ago and an xray. Vet checked teeth yestrday and said they were fine. Could it be just an eye infection?

If a Bun has runny eyes then *sometimes* it can be because the tooth roots have elongated and are pressing on the nasolacrimal ducts and blocking them. The only way to assess the tooth roots is by taking skull radiographs. So I am assuming your Vet said your Bun does not have tooth root elongation ?
. Antibiotic eye drops should clear up a bacterial infection, but if the tooth roots are elongated the eyes may be permanently runny and will need day to day management. It's usually helpful if the effected Bun has a bonded partner. The partner will often do a very efficient job at keeping the runny eyes of his/her friend clean :)

That's what I'm assuming but will double check what xrays were done when I go back to the vets for her VHD jab.

Unfortunalty Daisy is the bunny who since the fight with peach (see my post about anorexic bunny) has become very aggresive and we have been adviced by two vets and a rescue that bonding her (with professional help) could and probably would become a welfare issue for the other bun:roll: Trust my bunny!

Could it be snuffles? Having had a dental bun in the past I'm convinced it's to do with her teeth but if I can rule everything out first then I know it will be worth giving her GA and getting a full investigation done.

Thank you for your help and I love your siggy:)

Back