• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Huppie isn't eating...U/D post 14, she is eating!

huppie

Mama Doe
Sorry everyone, another non-eating thread.

This morning Huppie was binkying with enthusiasm to get to her food. This afternoon hubby saw her eat hay (I was out all day). At 18:15 UK time (90 mins ago) dinner was served. The male rabbit binkied and ran to dinner as usual but Huppie just sat there. I picked her up and checked her bum and tummy (no sounds or vibrations). Her eyes and ears are perky. I put her down and she has barely moved. I put the food bowl in front of her and she hasn't touched it. Rambaldi has though - normally she would chase him away! I have tried giving her her fave treat (Gingko Plus) but she has ignored it. Hubby and I have a permanent watch on her at the moment. She has eaten her cecs but that is it - and that was very brief (normally it goes on for ages). I rang the out of hours vet and she said to try force-feeding with a syringe!!!! She said to call back if Huppie gets really listless and to take her in at 09:00 (UK time). Help!!! What should I do?

Huppie is female, approx 6 and sterilised with no history of teeth problems. When she had her vaccs and check-up on 1st April the vet said she was a super healthy bunny with no problems.

I don't wnat to lose her, please help!!!

Emma

Last edited:
Sounds like GI stasis.
A better expert than me will tell you how to deal with it, but do not force feed until you get better advice.
I suggest you search the forum for advice, there is plenty of it.

Hope your bunny gets well soon.

That is why I am posting - I have always read force-feeding is a bad idea unless absolute emergency. My vets are bunny savvy but the one we rang we got was the emergency one and we don't know anything about her! God I am scared.

Emma

Hope someone with more knowledge will be along soon.

I think force feeding is supposed to be bad until a vet has confirmed that there's no blockage.

Sorry I can't be more help. Hope Huppie will be ok.

We are going to the vet now. Appointment in 45 minutes. This is the best vet in town but the rabbit guru isn't there and this woman - I just don't trust her. Dear God, I'm going to lose her. Sitting here sobbing. Oh christ.

Thanks for trying to help!

Please send vibes

Emma

Good luck Emma
Let us know how you get on..
It seems like an injection of gut stimulant and pain killer is the stuff you need.

Sending get well vibes....

Is there any bloat? if his stomach is suffering from bloat, then you need your vet to use the tube idea to suck the gas out first

If it is just a little bit of gas, you can get 2 ml of infacol every few hour just as a pre-caution.

If there is no bloat, and if your bun hasn't eat for more than 12 hr., then force feed your bun

1) Get some non-meat baby food, use a syringe to suck up the baby food, get a cup of hot water, dump the syringe in the hot water for 2 min., now the syringe is warm, so you now syringe feed the baby food to your bun.

Every 1Kg of bunny weight, get 100 ml of food inside him per 24 hr.

OR

2) Get some blackberry or raspberry, smash it via juicer. You need about 6 oz. Get some hay stem, cut the stem in 1 mm length, mixed it w/ the blackberry. Put the mixture in a 35 ml syringe and force feed your bun.

Thanks everyone!

She is eating now. She was given gut stimulant and pain killer injections. The vet thinks she has either had a sudden shock (I doubt that one) or that she has got a bacterial infection (more likely). There was no apparent blockage.

She ate a tiny amount a couple of hours after the injections so I went to bed. I got up again three hours later and tried her on some Gingko - she took a little so back to bed. This morning I gave her her normal brekkie and it was like she had never eaten food ever. Relief!:D She even pushed Rmbaldi out of the way whenever he tried to get his share :lol:

I have to give her Metacam, Laxatryl and Cisaral drops until she is eating, sitting, and pooing normally. Her poos shrunk yesterday into tiny dots and became paler - I forgot to mention that in my stress yesterday. Apparently it can take 2 to 14 days before everything is back to normal.

No idea what happened, or if it was even necessary to rush her to the very expensive out-of-hours service vet but today she eats and is alive so I don't care. I still have my Huppie *does the dance of joy* :D:thumb:

Honestly, I had no idea how much I love her until I thought I was going to lose her. Thank you all so much!!!

Emma

Delighted with the news.

Your Huppie is a beautiful bun... I have a soft spot for otter buns.
He's lovely, and will cause you many more worried times yet I think!!

Back