• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly bun drinking lots??

Wilbur

Mama Doe
Hi,

I got home from work this afternoon and let the buns out into the garden as usual. Louis came out ut Tom didn't which is unusual. I thought he looked a bit miserable but left him to see if he came out on his own. After about an hour he was still sat in the shed. I picked him up and checked him over, his tummy felt fine but he was breathing heavily. He is moulting a lot at the moment so I brushed him as well. When I put him back in the shed he wnt and drank some water and sort of flopped over the bowl. He then got up and went back to his litter tray where he had been before.

I then went and rang the vets and made an appointment.

I had noticed yesterday that they seemed to be drinking more.

When I took him to the vets he said he did look poorly but his tummy felt ok. He said as it seemed to come on so quickly that maybe it was an infection. He gave him 3 injections of antibiotic, pain releif and gut stimulant. He said if he wasn't better by the morning to bring him back.

This was about an hour ago. He has now moved out of the litter tray and is sitting with Louis who has washed him. He hasn't eaten and I have tried to tempt him with all his favourites. He has drunk loads though.

Does anybody have any ideas what might be wrong? I wondered about his moult as each time he always seems to get a bit miserable, but not like this before.

He is only 4 years old so quite a young bunny.

Sorry for such a long post!

He is still not eating but is drinking. How long should I go before trying to syringe feed him? I don't think he has eaten for about 5 hours, I know he ate last night but since then I am not sure.

I am really worried about him. The only times I have had a rabbit not eat is teeth related but he had his myxi jab last week and she checked his teeth and said they looked fine.

Please call her now about this because she might have an explanation for his drinking a lot, I hope he is better tomorrow..

Has he poo'd ?

Did the Vet check his teeth again?
Take his temperature?
Look in his ears?
Check his bladder ?

Hi Jane,

He did feel his abdomen and sides. he didn't take his temperature as I did ask and he said he didn't want to stress him anymore than he already was. He didn't check his teeth and I didn't think about it as he seemed fine yesterday and isn't dribbling. He didn't look in his ears either, arg I feel so stupid not getting him to do those things. I did try to go to another vet who is good with rabbits but they had no appointments.

I don't think he's pooed since we've got back. He lives in a shed with his brother but I have a webcam and have been watching him without upsetting him and he has only moved a couple of times.

The pain relief injection usually kicks in within half an hour
Did the Vet confirm that there is no obstruction in his guts?

Well all you descibe does make me think 'teeth'
Rabbits with a sore mouth often drink a lot to soothe the soreness.

Can you have a feel of his ears, are they cold or unusually warm ?

Has he wee'd ?

Jane,

Thank you so much for replying.

His ears do feel a bit cold and I think he has wee'd. When I held his ears he seemed to shiver/vibrate, could he be cold?

Do you think I should try to syringe feed him?

Jane,

Thank you so much for replying.

His ears do feel a bit cold and I think he has wee'd. When I held his ears he seemed to shiver/vibrate, could he be cold?

Do you think I should try to syringe feed him?

First I'd get him onto a heatpad. Do you have a snugglesafe or something similar?

Try offering him some gratted carrot or dandelion leaves

Yes I've got a snugglesafe so will do that and carrots and dandilions. Do you think he would be better indoors or leave him in his shed. There is lots of hay in there.

Well I have put him on the snugglesafe and he won't stay on it but at least he is next to it so getting some warmth. He doesn't seem interested in the dandelions or carrots but hopefully he will.

Thanks Jane.

Louis is sitting on the snugglesafe! I will try to swap them round.

I would move him inside, keep your bun indoor in a warm room, as he can't fight the cold at night and fight whatever health problem he has.

Once inside, you can closely observe him. If he eats the soft stuff like green but not the hard stuff like hay, then it's most likely his teeth.

If it has been 12 hr. since he last eat, you need to syringe feed him

1) Get some non-meat baby food, use a syringe to suck up the baby food, get a cup of hot water, dump the syringe in the hot water for 2 min., now the syringe is warm, so you now syringe feed the baby food to your bun.

Every 1Kg of bunny weight, get 100 ml of food inside him per 24 hr.

OR

2) Get some blackberry or raspberry, smash it via juicer. You need about 6 oz. Get some hay stem, cut the stem in 1 mm length, mixed it w/ the blackberry. Put the mixture in a 35 ml syringe and force feed your bun.

Hi Happy Hopping,

Thanks for your reply.

I have syringe fed him some softened/mashed pellets. I am not sure about bringing him in as it might stress him more. It's not cold tonight, but I may do. He has got a snugglesafe but he's not sitting on it, but Louis is snuggled up next to him.

Thanks for your advice.

An update on my baby. I syringe fed him again about midnight and decided to bring them in. I also did some tummy rubs and he started to perk up. A little while later he ate a bramble leaf and some hay and looked a lot brighter so I went to bed feeling a bit happier. This morning he still looks bright and is eating hay, he also ate several dandelions and bramble leaves. I think you are right Jane about his teeth as he is lifting his chin up when he eats the hay as if it is getting stuck. I remember my old bun Harry doing that. I will ring the vets when they open to see if they can do him today. Def an improvement so thank you for all your advice. I don't know what I would do without it.

Awwwww so pleased that he is doing better this morning :)
*If* he has a sore mouth he may prefer to have his pelleted feed made soft by soaking it in cooled boiled water. Some Buns will accept this, some dont like the mushy texture though !! :roll:

I hope he will be 100% better very soon :)

xx

Back