• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worming a house rabbit?

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
i asked my vet about it and she said yes, maybe just once though as he doesn't go out into the garden but i do pick him some grass (when the gardener remembers to leave a patch longer than an inch for me - v picky landlord:roll:)

she said to treat him with a tiny bit of panacur when he's completed his anti-biotic jabs (won't need much she said as he's tiny) and we agreed it would be probably be wise anyway given the number of health probs he's already endured in his 5 months:evil:

i will treat him asap but i wondered if people with house rabbits worm them anyway?

x

i worm my house rabbit and she hardly ever goes out now and i will prob not be letter her out much now if at all as she has just had an op today from being attacked

my vet still suggests worming the 4 times a year house rabbit or not

I worm my 2 housebuns twice a year as although they don't go outside, I bring the outside in with dandelion leaves etc. Of course I wash them but still wonder how thorough that is.

I have wormed all mine, although the 4 that don't go outside once a year, not every 6 months. :wave:

I've never wormed mines who never go outside, my vet never induced me to do so either.. I wash greens and veg.. so far no problems.. you worry me now ;)

Ive asked my vet about worming and she says there is no need.Touch wood,my buns have never had worms-mind you none of them have e ver had mites until now!

just back from the vet with eric and she advised me to panacur for 12 days. he is a house bun but in view of the health probs he's had which we've (hopefully) sorted, she said it best to worm him as who knows what he else he may have been in contact with.......

wish me luck with the panacur - eric has a phobia of syringes near his mouth since the baytril fiasco:roll:

anyone had panacur success on food for their buns? he's only got to have half a graduation per day cos he's a little chap.

x

Poppymoon my bunnies will not keep still for me to give them panacur from a syringe either (even with two of us doing it), and they refuse to eat it on normal greens. However, they both love baby sweetcorn which I don't give them normally, but when it is Panacur time I hollow out a sweetcorn and inject the panacur in and they eat it so fast it doesnt touch the sides. It's a bit of a faff but it works well for me.

Poppymoon my bunnies will not keep still for me to give them panacur from a syringe either (even with two of us doing it), and they refuse to eat it on normal greens. However, they both love baby sweetcorn which I don't give them normally, but when it is Panacur time I hollow out a sweetcorn and inject the panacur in and they eat it so fast it doesnt touch the sides. It's a bit of a faff but it works well for me.

thank you for the suggestion - i tried to hide it on some sandwiched together fresh mint earlier..... eric ate the bit without the panacur on and spat the rest out:roll:

i've not tried him with sweetcorn before (he's a fussy so and so) but i'll give it a try, thanks:wave:

Try a tiny piece of banana, normally works a treat ;) Either that or a small piece of digestive biscuit :)

Be a good boy for your mummy Eric :love: xXx

I panacurred my 2 when they were house rabbits but after reading through many many many :)shock:) debates on this I think I've decided its not neccisary inless one of our buns gets EC or something as if the buns are very resistant to worms (gosh knows how they do it :roll::lol:).

Spice was a good little rabbit (even though I figured I was double-dousing her the whole time :oops:) and took hers off a pellet but Ozzy turned his nose up at everything :evil:! Thanks to the guys off the forum I got loads of suggestions, so if you search on the forum i'm sure they will come up. In the end I just wormed Ozzy with the syringe, he was a pain for the first couple days then he got the idea and just gave in :lol: so it was over in a second and he got a few pellets after which instantly cheered him up :lol::D Bless him he also was double doused :oops:

Spice had a 1/4 syringe and Ozzy had a 1/2 syringe but they got 1/2 and a full graduation lol... man I'm stoooopid haha:lol:

I panacurred my 2 when they were house rabbits but after reading through many many many :)shock:) debates on this I think I've decided its not neccisary inless one of our buns gets EC or something as if the buns are very resistant to worms (gosh knows how they do it :roll::lol:).

Spice was a good little rabbit (even though I figured I was double-dousing her the whole time :oops:) and took hers off a pellet but Ozzy turned his nose up at everything :evil:! Thanks to the guys off the forum I got loads of suggestions, so if you search on the forum i'm sure they will come up. In the end I just wormed Ozzy with the syringe, he was a pain for the first couple days then he got the idea and just gave in :lol: so it was over in a second and he got a few pellets after which instantly cheered him up :lol::D Bless him he also was double doused :oops:

Spice had a 1/4 syringe and Ozzy had a 1/2 syringe but they got 1/2 and a full graduation lol... man I'm stoooopid haha:lol:

blimey! it's a wonder they didn't leave home in a strop!!:lol: thanks for your tips, will have a nose on the forum posts.

x

Back