• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Older house buns - any advise!?

goose81

Warren Scout
Hi All

I have recently adopted Daisy and Maisy - they are very happy outside in thier play palace! :love:

I have since had the urge to adopt an older house bun - there are a few that I have been really pulled to on RU- they are 8-9 years old though.

Having never had an house bunny before I have done my research but just wondering if older house buns present any different challenges / issues that I might need to consider!?

I would like to adopt an older bun as I think it's just awful that they have nowhere to go so late in life :oops:

Thanks guys -as a new member I LOVE this forum, and think it's fabulous that people are so supportive and experienced! :wave:

I have two very old house bunnies, one is 10 years old and the other 8 years old. They are no problem indoors at all. I would imagine it is actually easier to keep an older bunny indoors as you can keep an eye on them easier that way as they are more around you than outdoor bunnies.

I'd say for for it and good on you for thinking about the oldies. :love:

Vera

Awh! Thanks :) Im allowed to get one after we are married (August) - I'm very excited! :D

So no holdbacks so far...still open to any though...

Not that I think I will let it stop me :lol: Just so I know ;)

In general older bunnies make very good house pets because they are less likely to chew and dig, but there are a few considerations....

1. The bun may be too old to neuter so might not be good with litter habits.

2. Arthritis can make it difficult for them to jump into litter trays, so they will need a low sided tray (a gardeners potting tray is good!)

3. Older buns are likely to need more care, such as bum washing, eye bathing, etc

4. Older buns are probably going to work out more expensive than younger buns in terms of vet care.

Back