• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

abcess

murrimint

Warren Scout
hi,:wave: i have had my bunny piper for about 3 months and in that time he has had 2 ops for an abcess on the bck of his neck. He just came out of surgery yesteday and now has a swab in his neck. Is there any way this abcess can be cured because the vet has told me if it doesnt work this time then the poor fella should be put to sleep:cry: I am giving him antibiotics every day but is there anything else i can do?

Has your vet tried different antibiotics? Perhaps, you can get a second opinion from a different vet. You can try posting in the rabbit chat section asking members for names of rabbit savvy vets in your area. I hope your bunny gets better soon.

This is my 1st bunny so i dont really know what pasturella is. What are the symptoms? He had the abcess when we got him and the owners (friends of ours) were going to put him to sleep because they didnt want to spend the money so we took him in but are now smitten:love: so we want to do all we can. He is on the same antibiotics he was last time. He is just sleeping in his hutch all day and seems a bit depressed.

Has the vet taken a culture from the abscess wall to identify the exact bacteria you are dealing with and thus the most appropriate antibiotic to use ?

I'd suggest getting a second opinion.

When we got Bella last July she had an abcess on her side that got removed, and then came back again, she was put on baytril which did naff all. The vet didn't have much hope and said if it were to return we should pts.

We moved house shortly after so changed vets, the abcess returned in the same place after christmas so we took her to the new vets, who removed the absess again and took a culture and sensitivity test, which showed that the baytril would have done nothing against the bacteria. She is now on different abx and so far so good.

If we hadn't of changed vets there is a good chance that Bella wouldn't be with us anymore as we thought pts was the only option. So don't give up hope, and get a second opinion.

Back