• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant rabbits and their health

LolasMummy

Mama Doe
When we were intially looking at getting a rabbit we wanted a giant one but we were told they are always ill (eg broken backs, strokes etc) due to their size! Is this true or a scare tactic!! we ended up with tiny Lola :lol:

We would love a giant if all works with Lola and Desmond!!

Well this hasn't been true for me yet. My two are a year old on Monday, and we havn't had any issues yet...apart from Louise being allergic to straw, causing major earmites...but thats been sorted!

My first two giants died very young unfortunately.

My British Giant Apollo died at just under two years from a twisted liver... we think however that there was a genetic problem somewhere as the whole litter had died already by the time Apollo died.

My Conti x French Lop Lancelot died at just one year old for no obvious reason!

I was quite cautious afterwards and wondered whether I should get a giant again... but I did (just love them too much :love:) and so far, things have been great.

My Conti x French Lop Trystane is now three years old and as fit as a fiddle, never a problem at all.

My French Lop Dakota I have also had three years, but she was about 18 months or two years old when I got her, so she is around 5 now and has no health problems either at all!

So I would say that if you want a giant, get a giant! You can be unlucky with any bunny of any size.

Vera

Thank you,

Hmmm now just to convince Lola and Desmond to fall in love and then maybe i will look at a giant....

how to convince hubby (who said no to any pets and we have 2 rabbits, cat and fish!!)

Easy...you do what i did...start pointing at pictures of rabbits and start go "Ahhhh! So cute" in a baby style cutsey voice! It worked for me! :lol:

Easy...you do what i did...start pointing at pictures of rabbits and start go "Ahhhh! So cute" in a baby style cutsey voice! It worked for me! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Maybe i will try that - i somehow convinced him that getting Lola was his choice so we came home with Lola! :)

Hi i have contis and I have lost four so far.They carry the staph bacteria which has caused abscesses on their paws,ear infections and bowel abscesses.I have had my beautiful Willow PTS today.I'm convinced some of these beautiful bunnies carry and Illness with devastating consequences and Its contagious

My french lop Lily had problems with tumours, as has my conti x lop Hattie.
I think some giants have heart problems too, but i'm not majorly clued up on giants.

Ive always wanted a british giant though!

Hi i have contis and I have lost four so far.They carry the staph bacteria which has caused abscesses on their paws,ear infections and bowel abscesses.I have had my beautiful Willow PTS today.I'm convinced some of these beautiful bunnies carry and Illness with devastating consequences and Its contagious

Awww I'm so sorry *hugs* xx

I am so sorry about poor Willow. :cry:

i have had no "health" problems with nala like heart defects etc only problem i have had is her getting attcked in her run whilst i was out so i would say get a giant i love mine so much. i dont no nala's exact age but she is 2 or over as she is full size and is as fit as a fiddle appart from getting over this op.

however i have heard mine isnt the only one that does not like to be picked up so just be warned that not all of them like to be picked up and messed on with like the littler buns lol

good luck persuading you partner to let you get one hehe im still trying to persuade my mam to let me have another :lol:

I lost my giant girl Hermy, which was caused by an enlarged heart. It is very much associated with the giant breeds.
Like most pure breed rabbits, they will come with their problems. Maybe giants are more significant becuase they are such an extreme breed?

Hi.
I have a giant. I have had him since he was about a year old and in that time he has had almost constant eye problems, ear infection and he is due to have bloods done for poss kidney problem.
He has cost a lot in vet bills but he is worth it.

not a giant but a frenchie..berties had a few mishaps...mites an injury related haematoma...a few bites via bif:roll: he had a chin abscess but it cleared up after being excised and a ocurse of meds and fingers crossed has never returned. hes got an eye ulcer at the moment ad it could too be related to the bifster..shes a bloomin bully!!
the only time he had a really bad health incident was after we lost our willow..the grief was too much for him he wouldnt eat etc got a fever..stasis all the works but after advice here he got zanatac syrup and my vet gave him subcut fluids whilst we were in the exam room!

hes a lazy old soul but hes always been so i dont think tis a big bunny thing really..just bertie! he does snore..really loud somethimes...and when hes falling asleep he makes a weird clucking sound! when we got willow another fenchie but this time as a baby..she did the clucking thing..she snored a teeny bit not much..but she ate me out of house n home even tho i had restricted her foods etc....she didnt seem to stop growing....she would have been 2 at xmas but she died suddenly on 27th october..and the vet said from the symptoms it sounded like an embolism..i wished id had the pm done as i now reckon it was deffo her heart..she was always holding her head int he air to breathe..bertie does it a little but she she did it a lot.she was always sooooo active with the cats but also slept like a log..i had to lift her ear off the gorund where she was laying on her side to steam clean the floor!! now i wonder was it really heavy sleeping or her heart.

bertie was 18 months old when i adopted him...and hes had things any breed of bunny could get. But his old owner said to me what we dont realsie is they are so big running on alittle bunnys heart.....

i have been lucky with my bertie but then hes a tiny frenchie at 5kg/10lb. willow grew so big i was going to take her to be weighed before halloween when i ahd a blood test but she didnt make it:(

sarah hun im soooo sorry to hear youve lost your willow too:( binky free willow..hugs for you hun xx

oh my is desmond still being a little BEEP to lola:shock: get a big doe..he wont have a hope being the boss:lol::lol:

Last edited:
My two conti's are coming upto 2.5yrs and 3yrs next month and so far (touches wood) they've been fine.

I don't think they're that different to any other sort of breed tbh - so long as they have good accommodation so that they are not confined and get plenty of exercise, and their weight is kept at a sensible level, I wouldn't necessarily expect any particular problems.

we *touchwood* have never had any probs with our french lops.they are wonderfull buns,just make sure you get them from a decent place.

Back