• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should rabbits from rescues be spayed/neutered before they are rehomed?

Nala's Mummy

Young Bun
I am just asking this because I have been in touch with a couple of different rescues recently as I'm on the search for Nala's perfect boyfriend...and I've found it surprising how one rescue expects the new owner to have the rabbit neutered...especially because I am wanting to bond him with Nala...I'd have to have them living seperately for even longer :(
I just thought all bunnies had this done whilst they are at the rescues and before they are rehomed - did I presume wrong?

I think they should be yes however in the case of animals that are too young the adoption should probably be on the understanding that the animal be neutered/spayed when old enough

Every rescue I have spoken to neuter male bunnies. But I know of a few that dont spay females.

Rescues differ in what they do and what they expect from new owners

We neuter and vacs all of ours but some rescues will ask new owners to do this
I'm sure you could find an already neutered rescue bun on here:D

I think they should, but they all differ, we Mxyi vaccs and neuter all buns but i know of a local one (that has since shut down) that never did :?

They really should. What's to stop an irresponsible person breeding from them? Neutering is expensive and it's 1 of the ways rescues can convince people to spend a little on getting their accommodation upto scratch.

I persinally think that they should unless the health of the rabbit prevents this.

However I can also see the other side of the story about how expensive it is for the rescues to do this with every rabbit, the cost must surely mount up to quite staggaring amounts :shock: so a small rescue or rescues with less donation funds I would expect might have to stipulate that the owner arrange this and foot the bill seperatly.

I think it comes down to money too, some rescues have discount agreements with vets so they can afford to do it and cover their costs (not always though) in the adoption fee.
Some rescues don't have such generous vets so will ask you to sign an adoption contract to ensure that the new owner will do it.

In an ideal world all rescues would and could neuter and vaccinate. :wave:

Also to add, If I were rehoming an animal that needed neutering and the prospective owner said they couldn't afford to or wasn't willing to, I wouldn't rehome to them. ;)

In an ideal world, all rescues would neuter all buns and make sure they are all fully vaccinated before rehoming. However, rescues are always working with a limited amount of funds and some can't always afford to do it all. :(

I adopted Bubbles from the rescue before she was old enough to be spayed, on the understanding that I took her to my vet as soon as she was old enough.

Personally I think Rescues should - how do you KNOW bun won't be bred from otherwise - and look at how many accidents there are - intentional accidents or not! :lol: And if the lightbulb goes.....

But some rescues don't have the finances or time or space for neutering or homechecking, & if bun is too young for spaying then they can work it into the agreement?

I think its important that they do get them done, as then they are preventing any more unwanted litters etc
After researching abit...for example fat fluffs by me, they ask for I think it was £45 donantion for the rabbit - and although you can buy a rabbit for £25 from a pet shop I would be more inclined to get a bun from fat fluffs because their rabbits are neutered...and in the long run you would be saving money anyway as neutering alone costs around £35-£40 :)
It justs makes sense for them to do it.

i got our cat George from a rescue, i wanted a kitten so he was adopted on the understanding i would get him neutured myself :D

if rescues dont have the funds then they cant really get the animals done, probably more important to treat emergancies than waste valuable cash on routine stuff, but atleast they are safe and loved before they find thier new forever home :love::love:

do you think I could ask the rescue if they would neuter him and I will pay for it?

Its just I don't want to bring him home having not been neutered because I want to concentrate on bonding with Nala and having to take him to be neutered and then to settle etc its just all a bit too much I think

what do you think?

I think its important that they do get them done, as then they are preventing any more unwanted litters etc
After researching abit...for example fat fluffs by me, they ask for I think it was £45 donantion for the rabbit - and although you can buy a rabbit for £25 from a pet shop I would be more inclined to get a bun from fat fluffs because their rabbits are neutered...and in the long run you would be saving money anyway as neutering alone costs around £35-£40 :)
It justs makes sense for them to do it.

Neutering rabbits around here costs between £80 - £125!

Joey was neutered when I got him.

Alfie wasn't but this was because I got him at 12 weeks old. Bugsy was grieving and I wanted her to have a friend ASAP. The rescue offered to keep him until he was old enough to be done but I didn't want Bug's to wait that long. Alfie was also only at the rescue about 3 days :D

I'm very glad they trusted me to get him done and I was more than happy to pay for it myself.

do you think I could ask the rescue if they would neuter him and I will pay for it?

I don't see why not, and they can only say no. :) I had the opportunity to take Bubbles back to the rescue to be spayed but took her to my own vet because it was closer.

Back