• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im new to this site...Avoid Xenex Ultra at all costs

Sherry

New Kit
Hi everyone. I used Xenex Ultra on Wally 2 weeks ago to prevent flystrike and since then he has had to go to the vets twice. His skin is red like a scald and his fur is falling out :(. The vet gave him Metacam and said he would lose his fur but doesnt know if his fur will grow back. He is a rescue rabbit from the RSPCA and Ive only had him a month and feel terrible. Has anyone else had a similar problem with this stuff

Last edited:
No, I've never used Xenexn Ultra. I use Rearguard.

Poor Wally. :( I hope he recovers quickly.

Poor bunny!

I've used xeno 450, I think thats what its called, I don't know if its the same stuff, but I haven't had a problem with it, and used it on 4 different bunnies.

Poor bunny!

I've used xeno 450, I think thats what its called, I don't know if its the same stuff, but I haven't had a problem with it, and used it on 4 different bunnies.

They are different. xeno 450 is ivermectin which few buns have a problem with, but xenex ulter is permethrin and reactions are not uncommon. It is very toxic to cats which is worth knowing if you have cats and rabbits in contact.

xenex ultra

I'm really worried about my bunny - I used Xenex Ultra on my outdoor rabbit yesterday and he was fine. His mate-to-be is my indoor bun and the most treasured bunny in the world; I gave her the correct dosage this morning and I'm extremely concerned.

Within minutes she was twitching and scratching and breathing fast; her neck looks red and sore. I immediately bathed it and put her neck under a trickling water which she is appreciating so it must be painful. She has settled down now but I'm wondering whether to take her to the vets?

I'm NEVER using this product again. Is there a better and safe on anyone can recommend?

I'm really worried about my bunny - I used Xenex Ultra on my outdoor rabbit yesterday and he was fine. His mate-to-be is my indoor bun and the most treasured bunny in the world; I gave her the correct dosage this morning and I'm extremely concerned.

Within minutes she was twitching and scratching and breathing fast; her neck looks red and sore. I immediately bathed it and put her neck under a trickling water which she is appreciating so it must be painful. She has settled down now but I'm wondering whether to take her to the vets?

I'm NEVER using this product again. Is there a better and safe on anyone can recommend?

Sorry to here about your poor bunny.
You've done the right thing by washing it off, but I would still phone the vets to be on the safe side.
What parasite are you trying to eliminate?

One of my rabbits is very sensitive to Permethrin based insecticides, and there are many alternatives to Xenex Ultra, but it depends whether you're treating for fleas, ticks, mites, or as a fly repellant?

Luca (my outside bunny) had fleas and I thought it would be a good idea to get Hero (indoor bun!) done also, as she goes out into the garden for a run around. There have been no signs of fleas on her but she is a dark bunny and I didn't want to risk not seeing them.

She's still looking uncomfortable. I'm going to bathe it again but i feel awful for putting her through this.

Just thought I'd share with you all what seemed to help with Hero:

We put her in the bath and ran a trickling (hand held) shower over her neck to wash the xenex out of her fur/ skin. We used a tiny bit of shampoo. Normally I would not bath any rabbit as it could stress them out but in this instance it was essential.

We have contacted the vet and they have promised to contact the manufacturer. As Hero appears to be more comfortable she should be fine but her skin is still a little 'pink.'

Xenex ultra has been responsible for a lot of rabbits deaths, too many to be a coincidence and I would never use it on my rabbits. Xenex have been made aware countless times about the adverse reactions some rabbits have had to this products by professional veterinarians and have STILL not withdrawn it from sale.

Xeno is a different product :wave:

Thanks for the warning, I had not heard of it but have used Rearguard recently :)

Back