• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Right you clever lot any miracle solutions for getting Lola to eat hay???

LolasMummy

Mama Doe
How can i get Lola to eat hay???

We have tried

normal hay
readi grass (which she loved for about 4 months but now refuses)
oat hay grass (hates it)
excel with herbs(hates it)
mixing pellets with her hay (she moves the hay out of the way and eats the pellets)
mixing herbs and other yummy things with the hay (again she moves the hay and eats the bits she likes).

She only has half egg cup of pellets a day and a little veg/fruit.

The main problem is really her weight as we have always battled to keep her weight up, so normally have to give her lots of high calorie fruit and veg (was having 1 carrot a day, greens, broccoli and 1 pear or 1 apple a day this maintained her healty weight), at the moment we are only giving her tasters of this to try and encourage hay eating BUT her weight is slowly dropping!!

She has great teeth which is great but am concerend that they may not remain so good!!

She would prefer to starve than eat hay!!!!

Also have you tried just giving her hay in the morning and saving her pellets until the evening? I had to pretty much starve Sweetpea to get her to eat hay :roll:[/QUOTE]

Yeah she only get pellets at bed time now!!! Sweetpea sounds just like Lola - I keep telling her in the wild she would be happy with hay but i just dont think she listens (as she lies all warm infront of a radiator!!)

Think I will try buying it! Then just have to find another cupboard for another bag of hay! lol!!!

Have you tried the tester pack of hay from the hay experts?
I did this and found out what kermit liked before i bought a big pack.

How about putting the hay in her food bowl? I have found that as Strawberrys associates his bowl with food If I put the hay in there he eats much more.

I also sprinkle it with this https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Natural+Treats+%2526+Herbs.7/Dandelion+Delight.294.html

Hi,

She has the hay placed all around her cage (in hay rack, food bowl and stuffed intoys as well as just on the floor!)
She LOVES the dandelion stuff and eats it brilliantly but still leaves the hay lol!!

I had this problem till I bought hay from the dust free hay company and now they scoff it. The hay looks and smells nice and fresh.

I have a problem with Fudge eating hay and have tried EVERYTHING you could possibly imagine (They say getting a companion that eats hay helps teach the other, i cant get her a companion so........i sat munching on hay for her :shock::oops::oops::oops: Didnt work :roll:)
She now eats the oat, wheat and barley hay and the burns green oat hay...BUT she only eats them from the bag :lol: So in her Run she has 2 bags of hay and she usually gets lost in them :lol:

Shes also not keen on long hay, she prefers short hay:roll:

Im just trying her with alfalfa king timothy hay and so far she is having nibbles of it so not bad :D

Im growing grass in a tray for her (shes an indoor bunny) and hopefully she will enjoy that :)

Hope you find something that works soon, i tried for 1year trying to get her to eat hay :roll:

do you have a webiste for them?

I can see me buying a lot of hay for her to try!!

Type in Dustfreehay in google :wave:

Ive just spent £60 on hay for my bunnies and most of it for Fussy Fudge :roll: I dont know what it is but i just LOVE spending money on the hay experts :lol::lol:

do you have a webiste for them?

I can see me buying a lot of hay for her to try!!

If you wany i could post you some hay from dust free hay as its quite expensive and wouldnt want you to spend so much and she doesnt like it....if you pm me your address i can send you an envelope with some hay in it?

You could try fresh grass instead! If she is an indoor bunny or has no grass access, then perhaps growing grass in a couple of cat litter trays might be an idea. I used to do that and it worked great. (Note to myself... do grass trays again as bunnies really love it).

Vera

...I keep telling her in the wild she would be happy with hay ...
No, the problem is that in the wild she would be eating fresh grass, not hay... big difference. Have you tried giving her fresh grass?

Or have you tried hay from a farm? My bunnies refuse to eat pet shop hay of any kind, but always eat plenty of the farm hay I get in bales from a horse feed shop.

Vera

[QUOTE=FudgeMallow;3116668(They say getting a companion that eats hay helps teach the other, i cant get her a companion so........i sat munching on hay for her :shock::oops::oops::oops: Didnt work :roll:)

I cant beleive you tried that!! I would have loved to see that!!! :lol:

Thanks for your suggestions!

You could try fresh grass instead! If she is an indoor bunny or has no grass access, then perhaps growing grass in a couple of cat litter trays might be an idea. I used to do that and it worked great. (Note to myself... do grass trays again as bunnies really love it).

Vera

We do give her grass which she will tolerate (she is a house bun) but she is not that fussed about it!!!

when we put her on the grass outside she just binkies around but refuses to eat anything! even if she has been out for 4 hours plus and must be hungry!!

Back