• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grass

LolasMummy

Mama Doe
Hi,

Just a quick one hopefully!

Lola will not eat any hay at all (we have tried it all i think)!! So we have started bringing grass in for her from the garden (my neighbours think i am mad out there cutting grass in my pjs!!).

My question is if i give her grass in the morning (7.30am ish) and then go to work all day how long can the grass be left down for before it causes her problems (cause it starts fermenting). I get home at 6pmish. At the moment i give her loads in the morning then pick it up before work (put hay down instead) and then give her more when i get in in the evening.

anyone know??

You will be fine with grass for many hours, even up until 6 pm. The fermenting process starts due to heat and compaction. So dont stuff the grass tightly into places or next to a heater. Let the grass have space and loose, so it can "breathe". After those amount of hours, the grass will start to dry out but not ferment. But im sure the gras wont stay too long to be able to ferment! Mine go through it within seconds! lol

You will be fine with grass for many hours, even up until 6 pm. The fermenting process starts due to heat and compaction. So dont stuff the grass tightly into places or next to a heater. Let the grass have space and loose, so it can "breathe". After those amount of hours, the grass will start to dry out but not ferment. But im sure the gras wont stay too long to be able to ferment! Mine go through it within seconds! lol

Fantastic will try that then!! May be a solution if she wont eat hay!!! Thank you.

You should try still to give hay with the grass, as they all like a bit of variety and hay is harder to chomp than grass, so its better for their teeth. plus need hay to get the amount of grass moving in the gut too. but as long as the continual grazing motion is there from teeth. you should be fine. Expect that your bunny's poo and wee will be darker as she is getting fresh green and will most likely smell more potent too.

im exactly the same, im out in my garden with PJ's too!

You should try still to give hay with the grass, as they all like a bit of variety and hay is harder to chomp than grass, so its better for their teeth. plus need hay to get the amount of grass moving in the gut too. but as long as the continual grazing motion is there from teeth. you should be fine. Expect that your bunny's poo and wee will be darker as she is getting fresh green and will most likely smell more potent too.

im exactly the same, im out in my garden with PJ's too!

See other post about her refusing Hay.. thought grass might be just as good for her and her teeth!!

Does grass not move in their guts without hay? Thought grass would be better as its naturally their diet???

Lolas poo is dark and stinky already as she is on excel!!! :roll:

We are the pj brigade!! our neighbours must think we are strange!! :lol::lol:

...thought grass might be just as good for her and her teeth!!

It is... I'd have no hesitation to replace hay with grass as after all - as you say - that would be their natural diet!

In addition, don't forget that it is the teeth rubbing against each other that wear the teeth down, not the actual grass/hay!

Hay is a substitute for fresh grass, not the other way round! :)

Vera

It is... I'd have no hesitation to replace hay with grass as after all - as you say - that would be their natural diet!

In addition, don't forget that it is the teeth rubbing against each other that wear the teeth down, not the actual grass/hay!

Hay is a substitute for fresh grass, not the other way round! :)

Vera

Thank you! Lots of grass for now it is then!!

cool! thought some hay was needed to provide the hard roughage for the gut. but if grass is fine, then coolio!

If you can get hold of long, coarse, 'wild' grasses (obviously collected were there are no wild rabbits though) it is much better for the teeth and digestion than soft, spoilt lawn grass. I collect my from a local park, daily :)

Back