• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can i see pics of aviary type runs please

Looks like no ones got them!
I was bidding on some used ones on ebay which had been homes for giant rabbits. They were fab. Unfortunately the got withdrawn from sale otherwise I'd have one here!

I will also post some pics of mine after I have put it up at the weekend! I have made the frame, just need to put the mesh on!

Worked out much cheaper making one than buying one :)

I have an idea that i want to do, if i can convice hubbie. I have a shed but its made of concrete, i think years ago it was an outside loo, anyhow i want to move Benjy in there and put a hole in wall and put a wide tube/pipe leading to the run outside, so he can access 24/7. I have a mental blue print image of it all, i just need another shed to house the lawn mower etc. The things we do for the buns eh:lol:

side.jpg

join.jpg

it now has turf laid above the mesh floor :)
You can see the bike shed itself here:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=161575

I've got two 9ft x 6ft aviaries, but they aren't attached to sheds. The aren't quite finished yet (need to add rain proof roof etc) but I could take some piccies when I've finished

Here is where I am up to with mine so far. I need to sort out what I am going to do with the roof to make it waterproof. I pushed the gravel over the bottom to stop my other buns chewing the frame. I dug up the soil, laid mesh and put the soil back over. It has been re-seeded so hopefully in a few weeks the run will be full of grass. It's 9ft by 5.5ft. I would have liked to have made it bigger but couldn't because the garden is on a slope! Maybe I could extend it length wise so it goes right to the fence.... should have really though about that before I did it :lol:

Just need to put in a catflap

run.jpg

Charlie82 - that set up warrants the remark 'Can I move in?' :lol:
It's fantastic :)

:lol:

Thankyou, that summerhouse is a little weather worn now though! It was lovely when I first bought it and had a lovely veranda :(

The run is just for my foster nethie who lives out there as I would lose her out in the garden :roll:, all of mine just free range the rest of the garden. They have been winding her up today though! :lol:

Rowan - this is great! How do you stop the rain getting in? I have a little run that I bought 1 year ago when I got Smudge but it is already rotting - despite using a tarpaulin to totally cover it - perhaps the problem - too covered!

Thanks Cornishlass. My roof is made from that mini-ribbed corrugated transparent plastic. I got it from B&Q (think it was about £5 a sheet and I used 4) and just screwed it on. It's great as it keeps the rain out but lets all the light in. The rain does blow in a bit at the sides but the timber has lasted ok. I re-treat it every year so maybe that helps? Also, I think it helps that the timber is on concrete so raised off the damp earth.

I love the run in your first photo Mackers. All that grass must be bunny paradise! Do they try to dig out or does the wire go all the way down! If I had a bigger garden that would be my dream enclosure.

Thanks Cornishlass. My roof is made from that mini-ribbed corrugated transparent plastic. I got it from B&Q (think it was about £5 a sheet and I used 4) and just screwed it on. It's great as it keeps the rain out but lets all the light in. The rain does blow in a bit at the sides but the timber has lasted ok. I re-treat it every year so maybe that helps? Also, I think it helps that the timber is on concrete so raised off the damp earth.

I love the run in your first photo Mackers. All that grass must be bunny paradise! Do they try to dig out or does the wire go all the way down! If I had a bigger garden that would be my dream enclosure.

Thank you! That was my first ever attempt at a permanent bunny run (way before I'd discovered RU) so clearly I did something right!

It's completely under and overwired - I laid turf ontop of the wire, which is heavy duty, plastic coated security fencing. As you can see, there's nothing holding it up apart from it rests on the hedge at the back and it's stapled to the shed. The wire is so sturdy, you can sit on the top to trim the hedge and it doesn't move!!!!!

The earth in the run is around 8 inches deep now, having laid turf ontop of turf over the years. It gives the buns something to dig in.

Here is where I am up to with mine so far. I need to sort out what I am going to do with the roof to make it waterproof. I pushed the gravel over the bottom to stop my other buns chewing the frame. I dug up the soil, laid mesh and put the soil back over. It has been re-seeded so hopefully in a few weeks the run will be full of grass. It's 9ft by 5.5ft. I would have liked to have made it bigger but couldn't because the garden is on a slope! Maybe I could extend it length wise so it goes right to the fence.... should have really though about that before I did it :lol:

Just need to put in a catflap

run.jpg

Oh WOW !! I dream of having a set up like that !! :love::love::love:

charlie82 that set up is amazing! It looks REALLY good quality too, i know some pens can look a bit flimsy, but yours looks really sturdy!

Im hopefully going to be making a shed/run combo soon, so i maybe stealing some tips from your design, i like the door for the pen, where it doesnt go right to the bottom (my buns would run away as soon as it got opened, so that would at least keep them in while i have change to get in and shut the door!)

Thanks for posting that pic!:love:

Back