• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Castrating a disabled bun?/ He is being neutered

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Do I or don't I?

Geordie would really love the company of another bunny but we are very concerned about getting him done. His breathing worrys us, although it doesn't appear to be down to illness rather his deformities. He is also extremely small, just 1kg.

As he is brain damaged and blind and deaf he really does appreciate human contact and would be happy for me to carry him around all day, but obviously this is impossible. He also gets really excited when there is other buns about. We have a little girl coming who isn't spayed yet due to health issues but we think they could be a good match:?

After loosing Austin I am so nevous about choosing to neuter buns with neurological problems.

the vet has seen him and has said she would be happy to do it after 4 weeks of panacur, but this was only the day after he arrived and we hadn't had the chance to fully assess his condition at this point.

If we can't get him done we have another neutered male she can go with so thats not the problem, we would just love Geordie to have company :)

Last edited:
Id ask Jaypot and see what she would do Liz?

I probably will ask Jay but I know how busy she is and also how hard it is to give advice about a bun you have never met so thought it would be a good idea to get a range of opinions :)

I would probably go for it, assuming the vet was still happy. I think if it means he could have a permament companion, its worth the risk. Every animal is different.
We lost our first guinea pig after being speyed for uterine cysts, she was youngish and fairly health. The next pig was old and poorly, also due to neurological problems and she sailed through the op. Pip, who we lost recently didn't make it. I would still go for the op the next time, you just never can tell.

I would probably go for it, assuming the vet was still happy. I think if it means he could have a permament companion, its worth the risk. Every animal is different.
We lost our first guinea pig after being speyed for uterine cysts, she was youngish and fairly health. The next pig was old and poorly, also due to neurological problems and she sailed through the op. Pip, who we lost recently didn't make it. I would still go for the op the next time, you just never can tell.

You are probably right :) I just feel so responsible when it goes wrong if it is something like a neuter as there was a choice. If it is a GA for a dental or similar there is no other option

You are probably right :) I just feel so responsible when it goes wrong if it is something like a neuter as there was a choice. If it is a GA for a dental or similar there is no other option

I wouldn't say I'm right, and I know what you mean about feeling responsible, but whatever I do, I end up feeling like that anyway and suspect you are the same.:lol:
Still, I know i can't spend loads of time with each animal and if they are sociable try to find them a friend.
How disabled is he, could he go with a neutered female and not bother her too much. I have never had entire males with speyed female, but had lots of pairings the other way around ( before I knew the issues of uterine cancer) and they have worked well, and the bondings themselves have been no more difficult than the ones I've done with both partners neutered.
Don't know if that helps, but something worth considering.

I would have the girl spayed and then see what his reaction was to her in a meeting. I wouldn't normally advocate putting an unneutered male in with a neutered female but it maybe with his issues/size that it would work in this situation.

I have already tried him with neutered buns and he knew exactly what to do ;) so that is a no go. I was really hoping that could be a possible answer but he would pester the girly far too much

:lol::lol::lol:

I know I was really hoping he would be an innocent little bun :?

Because his legs are so weak he did keep falling off but he is a persistant little thing and it wouldn't be fair for a girly to have to put up with that

That reminds me of one of our foster buns, Henry. He was 2 when he came and very frustrated, we put a ball in the run for him to play with, but he just humped it, and then the ball would slowly roll away and he would slide off, pick himself up and start all over again. I was funny in a way, but at the same time I was upset to see him so frustrated. He was neutered and rehomed to live with a girl bunny, a happy ending!

Another alternative is put him in with lots of girls, that's what happens with quail etc. They are so frisky they need about 5 girls, so that no one girl get too much attention, and the love is spread around!

Only joking.:)

Last edited:
I would have the girl spayed and then see what his reaction was to her in a meeting. I wouldn't normally advocate putting an unneutered male in with a neutered female but it maybe with his issues/size that it would work in this situation.

I'm the same. I always bang on about how it's not best situation for bonding, but I have 2 nethies. The girlie was spayed but the boy bun was tiny, & I decided (after speaking with vet) not to get him done (just yet). There's been no issues. He's not that great at using a litter tray, but that's been the only problem so far.:D

Geordie has been back for a check up today.

His heart and lungs are OK so he is going to be neutered :) He does need to have pre op bloods run first though as we are concerned about the amount he is drinking. If they are all right then hopefully he will be snuggled up with a lady bun soon :love:

Now I just need to be brave enough to actually book him in to have it done now :oops::lol:

Awwww Geordie, I'm sure it'll be worth it to end up with a lovely lady wife!

Hope the pre-op blood checks come out ok and it all goes well for him.

Thank you

He's booked in for the 1st of June :?

If his pre op bloods are Ok he will be neutered and have spinal x-rays taken as well as having his breeders ring taken off :)

I'm not worried honest :oops:

Back