• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP! My rabbits had babies!

bindi484

New Kit
I really need some advice. My rabbit Mify lives in a three-tier hutch wither male Guinea- Pig buddy. They have known each other since appox 9 weeks old. I know Mify got out once and my mum found her playing with our male rabbit. This week sometime, she has given birth! The nest area is covered in her fur and buried beep in it are fairly large babies. I have no idea how many as i am scared to touch them incase Mify eats them. Can i or cant i?? Also should i move the Guinea-pig out? Will she attack him? So far he looks fine and are getting on ok! Should i aso add hay in? or leave it competely alone? Any more info seriously welcome. Thanks so much xx

As far as i'm aware you shouldn't keep a guinea pig with a rabbit. The fact your rabbit has had babies now means that she's probably be more aggressive towards it. Rabbits are considerably more powerful than guinea pigs and can easily cause them a lot of damage or even kill them with a kick.
The best thing to do would be to separate the rabbit and guinea pig. I really know nothing on looking after babies as i've never bred. Someone should be able to help you out soon. I suggest you look into neutering your male and then your female after the babies have been weaned to stop this happening again. You could then bond your male and female together as a pair.
Helen xx

I would remove the guinea pig immediately and not put him in with the male rabbit if you do not have a spare hutch. This unneutered rabbit could kill him.

HI, yes seperate the guniea pig into his/her own hutch. The mum rabbit will want some space and 'peace'. As for the babies, there isn't much to do to be honest, the mum rabbit will (should) take care of them. You can peek into the nest - try stroking your mum rabbit first to get the smell of her on your hand (you can also rub it in her poo too) - but try not to distrupt them too much. Check the babies belly's to ensure they are getting fed - they should look 'round' and full (not flat). I used to peek into Stars nest every day but she was always okay with me doing so. The mum will only feed once a day - normally at night so you wont really see her feeding her babies.

The other thing to watch out for (after my recent experience) is when they are between 10 - 14 days the babies should open thier eyes. Just ensure they do (but dont force them open!) open the eyes otherwise they might end up blind like two of my baby bun's :(

One more thing I have just thought of (something I never knew!) is that the mum will often leave the babies for long periods of time - ie my mum went out of the hutch all day and never checked on the babies! This is 'normal' and goes back to them being in the wild and not wanted to let 'enemies' know there are babies around.

good luck :D

Yep move piggy out into his own cage.
Do not disturb babies, leave mum to it.
Give mum extra food she will need it at this time as she is feeding the babies.
Make sure she has plenty of hay in her hay rack too.

As someone has already mentioned mum will leave babies for long periods of time this is normal and what happens in the wild. Babies will also naturally open their eyes when the time is right so don't worry about that.

Mark down the date they were born. They need to be sexed at 14 weeks and males seperated from females. I would not advise putting baby males in in with dad.

A vet should sex the babiesreally as it is quite difficult.

In a few weeks time it would be a good idea to have mum spade. If you phone around different vets for prices you might be able to get it done for around £40. After her spade - approx 6 weeks - you can start bonding her with dad. Ask for advice on the forum about this lots of people will help.

Rabswood

I agree with the above, but would have the babies sexed and separated when they are 10 weeks old. Get the dad neutered now, and don't let him get to the mom for at least 4 weeks, as he will still be fertile for a while after his operation. The male babies can be neutered as soon as their bits drop, which is around 12 weeks usually. The female babies can be neutered when they are about 5 months old.
Good luck and show us some photos when the babies are a bit older and leaving the nest. :)

Thanks a lot you guys for your responces. I have now moved Mr Pig out. Had a quick peep into the nest and they have more than likely been there 3 days at least, they are quite a size and have started to grow fur already. Will have a go at uploading photos in a few weeks. One more question if anyone knows, at what age can they be weaned?
Thanks again, you have been a great help! xx

Thanks a lot you guys for your responces. I have now moved Mr Pig out. Had a quick peep into the nest and they have more than likely been there 3 days at least, they are quite a size and have started to grow fur already. Will have a go at uploading photos in a few weeks. One more question if anyone knows, at what age can they be weaned?
Thanks again, you have been a great help! xx

you will see the babies start eating some solids as time goes on ... I think from around 6 wks they are becoming less dependent on mum but dont removed any babies until they are 8 wks old at least(if poss). Even after 8 wks, some people keep the baby girls in with mum (but any boy babies most be removed) but just keep an eye as my mum turned on her litter and if this happens they will need to be seperated.

can't wait to see some piccies :D

Hello,
Just an update, the babies are doing really well now, bought them a new pen as they had quickly outgrown the other. I cant believe how fast they grow. I would upload a pic but not sure how to, any advice? x

Hello,
Just an update, the babies are doing really well now, bought them a new pen as they had quickly outgrown the other. I cant believe how fast they grow. I would upload a pic but not sure how to, any advice? x

If you want to email me them I will post them for you

Back