• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can wild buns ever recover from Myxo?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
A know-it-all it my office overheard me booking in my buns for their Myxo boosters. While I’m on the phone I hear him saying 'Oh rabbit pie, I bet the pie would taste strongly of parsley...' (I’ve had a nice large bunch of parsley they've been having for treats!). Anyway he then informs me that wild rabbits can survive myxo! Already wound up, I started arguing with him saying even vaccinated buns have difficulties getting over it and that’s with medical help. He wouldn’t let it drop and said he'd seen them with the scaring. I asked if he was capable of telling the difference between wild rabbits so he could say for certain he’d seen the same one with myxo recover, but he was adamant! So Im sure its a silly question to ask, but is it possible for a wild rabbit to recover from myxo with no help?

A know-it-all it my office overheard me booking in my buns for their Myxo boosters. While I’m on the phone I hear him saying 'Oh rabbit pie, I bet the pie would taste strongly of parsley...' (I’ve had a nice large bunch of parsley they've been having for treats!). Anyway he then informs me that wild rabbits can survive myxo! Already wound up, I started arguing with him saying even vaccinated buns have difficulties getting over it and that’s with medical help. He wouldn’t let it drop and said he'd seen them with the scaring. I asked if he was capable of telling the difference between wild rabbits so he could say for certain he’d seen the same one with myxo recover, but he was adamant! So Im sure its a silly question to ask, but is it possible for a wild rabbit to recover from myxo with no help?

In theory yes it is possible. But it is far more likely that the Wildie would be taken by a predator long before getting the chance to recover.
A few Wildies in a colony near me appear to have recovered from last year's outbreak and many have been left with severe eye damage.
If the do survive they should have a good immunity to future disease outbreaks.
But as I say, its far more likely that a predator gets a Myxi Bun rather than the disease itself.

Oh Im quite shocked at that! I was so convinced it was the most evil thing out there and they wouldnt stand a chance, that's amazing! However, I shan't apologise given the comment he made, for the umpteenth time, about rabbit pie!!

Back