• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

painkillers after spay

youngbunny2

Mama Doe
is it normal not to have been given painkillers to bring home? surely it still hurts? bluebell isnt hopping she is walking on tip toes so must be in pain?\ also how long would you leave it if she hasnt poo'd? she has wee'd.

Hello, it is entirely normal not to be given painkillers. Dont let your rabbit do anything athletic and if this is a ramp in its cage, close it so it is not tempted to jump up it. When rabbits are feeling under the weather they appreciate being placed in their bedroom where they can hide (in the wild they have to hide any sign of weakness as it makes them vulnerable to predators), make sure it is nice and quiet to and that they are not startled. You will know if your bun is in pain as they will more often than not sit backed into a corner with their ears down and grind their teeth loudly, if this is the case it's back to the vets i'm afraid, or maybe try phoning them before you move your bun again. If you are worried about her not pooing it could be because she hasn't eaten for a little while as they tend to not eat a lot after the aneasthetic, you need to encourage eating though so tempt your bun with all its favourites, brocolli, cabbage etc, this will also help to get things moving if there are any congestion problems, keep your eye out though and if your bun doesnt return to eating normally soon, again you will need to take it to the vets as this is serious for rabbits, my vet kept my bunny in to make sure it returned to normal. Let me know if you have any other wuestions, i will try to help. :wave:

If she's not eating, pooing or if she seems uncomfortable 24 hours after the op I would take her back for a further painkiller injection and possibly a gut stimulant. Some vets prefer to recheck the patient rather than send the owner home with meds.

It seems not many people are given additional painkiller to take away. I just tried to think about it logically, the little bun has had a major operation, with a large incision under her tummy, this sore area will be pulled when she tries to hop. I simply dont believe a 24hr painkiller is sufficient for such a big operation in the position it is in. I asked the vet for extra metacam to take away and she was fine with that. Im glad I did because I truely believe it helped Daisy.

My Lola didn't get given meds but we took her back the next day as she was looking really sorry for herself and wasn't eating anything. they gave her an injection and gave us some special food to feed her with a syringe which was not easy to administer but she was fine after a few quiet days. I tried all her usual foods but in the end she ate some fresh grass (it was when we had that snow, so hard to come by) and gradually got back to normal. My little boy Pierre is at the vets as I type and i'm hoping he'll not be as bad as she was.:)

I think additional pain relief after a spay is important, so contact your vet if you're concerned about Bluebell and request metacam.

Try and tempt her to eat and drink if you can.

Vibes for Bluebell.

Hi, do you have a check up with the vets?

Star was sprayed on Monday (last) and for 4 days afterwards we went back to the vets. The first couple of days she was given pain relief and the gut moving injection and then remaining days were to check that everything is okay.

If you haven't been given any extra pain relief and dont already have an appointment then I would call the vets and make one (if you think she needs it). I think it was the pain relief that 'perked' Star up and got her eating again (and me sitting there waving it under her nose!).

Like someone else said too, I could tell Star was in pain as she went into her 'enclosed' area (which she never does) or she was sitting in the corner feeling very sorry for herself.

Bun would usually have painkillers before released from the vets, but I've never brought any home unless there's been a problem (& we've gone back)

Back